Berlingo Owners

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

blueboy2001

Berlingo Owners

Post by blueboy2001 »

Do the seats come out the back/fold down?
If they fold, how much space is lost?
Are the rear seats big enough to seat 3 adults in comfort on long trips?
Are they good on the motorway, specifically the HDi version?
What sort of economy figures do they do?
Whats the back decked out in?
We need something with 5 seats at work, but it has to double as a van much of the time. A Picasso is an option but they're dear and a bit too nice to be used to chuck dirty agricultural parts in the back every day.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Phew! Here goes.......
The rear seats fold forward to give a flat load bed. They could be unbolted and removed but are VERY heavy. They fold into the rear footwell so you loose about a foot in length in the rear. An ISO pallet will fit in the back with the seats folded.
All three rear seats are very comfortable with enough room for 3 adults and all have a reel seat belt (no lap strap).
The HDI will crack the ton but over 75mph the economy suffers. Mixed MPG is around 43mpg. Headwinds and hills, no problem as they fly!
The rear has a thick washable rubber mat but the wheel arches are just painted and scratch for fun.
The HDI is the best one, The 19IDI is c**p. Our Jon will back me on that........
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Mate of mine has a Picasso and while he likes it he finds driving it on windy days a challenge and has to slow considerably. I can't comment more not having driven it or even ridden in it but would suggest if you are considering one you test drive it on a windy day.
I'd thought these problems were a thing of the past and was surprised when he mentioned it.
Jeremy
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Right, I've sent my boss to the local dealer to have a look at one and he approves. They've quoted £9600 for the 2.0HDi Forte on the road inc VAT.
I've called my mate whom I get my cars off and he said he's got a Silver one in the showroom, new and unregistered with optional aircon and a CD player he said he wants shut of it and we can have it for £9300. Is that a good price?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

http://www.broker4cars.co.uk/berlingoprices.htm shows Berlingo Fotre at £9,061, but I'd choose the metallic with air con that you can get for not much more.
Ben
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sounds good to me.
Bear in mind I paid £9250 OTR for my 1.9D Forte with "Comfort pack" 2 years ago. [:(!]
No Vat free or cashback deals then. [:(]
Depreciation [V]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

How about £11500 in April 2002 for mine[V] and that was with £1000 cash back! I bet is worth about 30 bob now.
Anyway, there was no real need for this post other than to get my post count to 100[}:)][:p][;)][:o)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for that Dave.
Thats an average of 0.1 posts per day since you joined. I know, quality not quantity etc etc!
I'll give you 30 bob for that Berlingo, any time. Will you take a part-ex on a red 125,000 mile ZX, 1 very careful owner and me???
Going back to topic [:)] a local building firm runs a couple of Berlingo Multipspaces,1.9D type, and they are well pleased with them as they can send 4 or 5 blokes to site plus have room for tools. Often theres only 2 or 3 guys in the Berlingo and they manage to fit in the odd Cement mixer etc too. These are both white Y reg examples (looking slightly battered) and my man (from local pub) tells me they have not had any problems as yet.
I may have mentioned before that theres 2 on the roads of Swindon being used as mini cabs and putting on starship mileage without too much trouble.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Sounds like a good price to me - I paid £9750 for my HDi with modutop and a/c but no cd in July (there didn't seem to be many HDis around then).
As for motorway performance, I've just been to France for 3 days, did about 1000 miles and 80mph (French limit) is no problem and at times I found it creeping up to 90 without realising. Didn't find winds any problem and even loaded up with lots of wine/beer on the way back she was still willing to cruise at those speeds. Fuel consumption I would guess at about 40 -45 mpg though I haven't accurately worked it out (it was about 10 miles per litre when I filled up, which is 45 mpg). We found the front seats very comfortable even when driving most of the day on the way back. My children (both in their mid 20s and not small!) assure me that the back is also comfortable with plenty of leg room.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

With the 'Fuherer' wanting a Picasso I researched the difference between buying one of those and a Berlingo and quickly came to the conclusion that the Picasso was by far the better deal once you priced up the HDI engine and Aircon etc. When it comes to residual value, families will always want a Picasso but may baulk at a Berlingo (builders van) unless it is really cheap, which at present they are not. Berlingos only seem cheap until you put in the 'real world' specification of the above 'options' which are standard on the Picasso. The price of a rubber mat has never been cheaper in my books! Has anyone EVER paid full price for a 'NEW' Citroen. (Iv'e never got less than £2500 off) anyone that does must be good for a free drink!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Ok, but since Clarkson's infamous Berlingo revue (shock, horror he liked it!!) Berlingo Multispace values have been good. In fact at one time there was a waiting list for 1.9D and HDi versions. Since the MK2 version was introduced, things have quietened down a bit, but a good Berlingo with the right spec still does well second hand.
PS Anyone want to buy a a Dec 01 51 plate 1.9D in (optional) metallic blue version with a mere 19000 miles complete with remote locking, electric windows and mirrors? Would suit the more retiring driver.
In fact, its not for sale and we're going to run it for the next 5 years, unless of course it falls to pieces. [:p]
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Our firm has done a deal to buy the Multispace for £6000 plus our X plate Berlingo Panel Van with 40k on the clock in part exchange.
The Berlingo Multispace were getting is a 2.0 HDi Forte, in Artic Steel metallic with optional Air Conditioning, Safety Pack (airbags + ABS) and a CD player.
Reason we want one is because about twice a month a group of 5 staff will attend a training course somewhere down south. At the moment, that involves taking 3 Nissan Terrano 2.7TD vans or paying a member of staff mileage to use their own car. The Berlingo will mainly be used with the seats folded down for delivering parts, but when required for a trip we will put the seats back and leave one of the Terrano's for the parts dept. to use.