Mystery Wire, Door Mirror

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

Mystery Wire, Door Mirror

Post by Guru Meditation »

Had to strip down my passenger on saturday and clean it all over, right down to the last seal (don't ask). I contemplated taking the window mech out as my electric window is a bit sloooow but didn't bother, just lubed what I could with silicone spray. Anyway when I removed the mirror I disconnected the plug for it's electrics (my car has electric nearside, manual offside mirrors), but I also noticed the mirror had an extra unused multi plug hanging out of it. The plug had two wires, one very light blue the other red. I immediately thought maybe it is a heated mirror also but obviously the model I have doesn't have mirror heaters so what could it be? Maybe it isn't the car's original mirror. Looked in the door there was definately nowhere I could see to plug this extra plug in and the door mirror moves quite happily in all directions without this extra plug connected.
What is it?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yes, its spare wiring for a LH heated mirror, last 2 ZX's I had had this spare wire. We didn't get heated mirrors for the UK market, so the plug just hangs there.
If you buy a gen Cit mirror then they only have one multiplug, but I've noticed that on some of the Aftermarket mirrors e.g. Lucas they have a second multiplug for the heater. Whether they would just plug in and work, I do not know. If it did work the mirror would be heated when the heated rear window switch was on.
Another complete waste of time, have heated mirrors on my Berlingo and neither of them have worked after about 4 months of age, just folding them in when you park seems to be enough to break the heater!!!!
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

When you stripped down the passenger, did he or she complain??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hehehe [:D][:D][:D]
Guru Meditation

Ha ha, spot the deliberate mistake![:D] I of course meant my passenger DOOR, I would NEVER strip a passenger, not even a female one[:D]
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

If I was stripping down a passenger I don't think I'd use silicone spray as a lube...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well Kev [:D]
- body suits can indeed be very tight [;)]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Another complete waste of time, have heated mirrors on my Berlingo and neither of them have worked after about 4 months of age, just folding them in when you park seems to be enough to break the heater!!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have them on my Xantia and they still work 5 years on. Very useful they are too after a night shift, along with heated seats, which a stipped down passenger would find most welcome.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

OK - back on track :
Homer - the heated seats in your Xantia are the originals - still working after 5 y's ?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I've just sold my 94 Xantia 115K miles with heated seats and yes they were both still working! Must be due to my 'chiselled' beer belly!!!!!!!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well the Berlingo ones worked really well through Jan/Feb 2002, and have never worked since. When they were working they actually produced some steam of a cold morning and cleared the mirrors rapidly, now the condensation just sits there.
I've bought a new n/s mirror (Lucas)Electric, heated, and will stick that on this weekend as the existing unit suffered some, um, damage as result of Mrs W squezzing past a stationary lorry. I'll see how long that one lasts.
On the subject of ZX and door mirrors, does anyone on here recommend anything that keeps them vaguely clean and mist free? I am 100% dependant on mine (no interior mirror) but they are always manky or misty during the Winter months, despite my best efforts. Is that Rain-X stuff any use?? Usually you will find me with a cloth out of the open window trying to restore rear vision on a dark morning.Arm gets cold. :-(
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Jon, is there a reason for no interior mirror? Its just that it seems a lot easier to stick one on than put up with that palaver>
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jon -
If you want a no-problem heated mirror - then use the electronics DIY approach :
Self-adhesive cupper foil is available in hobby shops. Cover the rear of the mirror glass with this foil. Then solder on to the foil a couple of power transistors housed in TO220 package. The mounting & heat dissipating tab on these transistors very effectively dissipates the heat to the foil - and hence to the mirror.
The transistors are wired up as constant current sinks - to consume some 6watts (0.5Amp) each (@ 12V).
Such power transistors are rated to dissipate well over 40watts mounted on heat sinks.
In this application the CU foil works as a very effective heat sink for the total of 12watts heat dissipated.
Any you guys out there able to submit a sketch on this idea ?
Guru Meditation

Build your own 'leccy mirrors-damn good idea. Got me thinking about other DIY improvised stuff, think I'll start another thread about that-just gotta un-strip that passenger first.....
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

OK - back on track :
Homer - the heated seats in your Xantia are the originals - still working after 5 y's ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The drivers seat works perfectly, the passenger one only on level 3. But the wife likes to be extra warm. The car was only 2 years old when I got it so I assume they are the originals.