C5 power steering rack oil leak HELP please .

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

garrydog
My Cars:

C5 power steering rack oil leak HELP please .

Post by garrydog »

Hi
Got a leak on my steering rack , it's comming from a union below the steering column it's the lower one of the two . Went to Citroen agents to try to get a new pipe ,but no it only comes with the steering rack ,they told me " GO TO A SCRAPER AND GET ONE" called at the scrapper on the way back , removed the pipe from an old C5 . The pipe is only a short one with a small o ring on one of the unions ,it's now fitted to my car and it is still leaking . Has anyone had this problem? also my MOT is comming up will it fail the test with this leak ?
Thanks .
2004 C5 VTR 2.0L HDI hatchback.
zipdip

Re: C5 power steering rack oil leak HELP please .

Post by zipdip »

Hi the car will fail the MOT,which is bad news,it is possible that the O ring is no good ,not far from me is a old iron mongers which is always good for buying a few screws or the odd O ring,not sure if end of your pipe is male or female,I would suspect female so that it screws onto a raised threaded bit on ,the rack if it is maybe with a new O ring and some plummers tape it may stop leaking but almost certainly a expert in the old model c5 will give you a much better answer
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
garrydog
My Cars:

Re: C5 power steering rack oil leak HELP please .

Post by garrydog »

Yes both ends of the pipe are the same both male , but only one side has an o ring on it . tried to buy a new o ring but could not find the right size ,bought a box of small o rings from flebay but all wrong size . Think I will try the PTFE on the threads that may stop it.
2004 C5 VTR 2.0L HDI hatchback.