How much LHM in my Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

orinoco74

How much LHM in my Xantia

Post by orinoco74 »

Hi, i have a mk2 Xantia (2000) 1.8L 16v petrol model. I have noticed the reservoir tank for the LHM was a little low. I read the manual and on top is an indicator, where the yellow disk has to be between the two red lines. Saying that this doesnt work, how high should the level in the LHM reservoir be? Inside the filling cap i can see what looks like a white gauze filter, i can see about 2cm of the top of it. How high should the level be? Thanks in advance.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: How much LHM in my Xantia

Post by citronut »

in what way do you think the level indicator is no working work, when all that is wrong is the fluid is to high in the tank,

what method did you use to check the level indicator
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
orinoco74

Post by orinoco74 »

i am not saying the level indicator isnt working, it just hasnt moved. i have put a liter of LHM in it and the level indicator is still where it was at before. i just wondered if there was a visual way of telling if it has the correct amount of LHM IF the level indicator doesnt work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

IIRC it is the orange disk that needs to be between the red lines when the car is on high, on the level, and with the engine running. The metal disk is used to bridge two contacts if there isn't enough LHM in the reservoir, it will cause the STOP and brake warning light to come on (the same ones that stay on for a few seconds after you have started the car).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

unless i have missed something orinoco74 has not said were his YELLOW :-D :roll: :wink: disc sits in the sight glass, top or bottom of the level indicator,

the indicator is so simple it is very unlikely it is not working,

it is a one piece plastic float with a stem from the top of the float going up into the sight glass, which then has the copper and YELLOW discs attached
Regards, malcolm.

orinoco74

Post by orinoco74 »

thing with that is, i think it may be stuck, when it was really low in the reservoir, the yellow disk was right at the top. now i have shoved another liter in, its still at the top, i think it may be stuck or something...
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

From previous experience of a leaky Xantia, 1l of LHM would take the level from low to the point of setting off the STOP lamp on the dash to being over-filled.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

orinoco74 wrote:thing with that is, i think it may be stuck, when it was really low in the reservoir, the yellow disk was right at the top. now i have shoved another liter in, its still at the top, i think it may be stuck or something...
Err, so the disc indicated that the level was too high, so you added MORE oil in, another litre in fact ? Why would you think adding more oil would make the reading drop ?? :roll:

Your tank will now be grossly overfilled, to the point that if you lower the suspension right down it will overflow out the top of the tank. Why not just believe the indicator knows what its talking about ? If it reads too high when the suspension height is fully up, then it is too full, not too empty.

Don't be fooled by the level inside the reservoir being low, the level is checked when the tank level is at a MINIMUM (suspension right up) not maximum.

People second guessing the indicator because it "looks" too low inside the tank is a common mistake. Just trust the indicator and siphon that litre (and then some) back out while the suspension is on high until the reading is correct, before you end up with a huge oil spill on the ground. Top orange disc between the two red lines.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
orinoco74

Post by orinoco74 »

the thing is, even with the suspension fully down, i can still see the top of the white filter inside the reservoir. so there is absolutely no chance of it overflowing. so i guess it does mean the indicator isnt working.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

You might find it will overflow with the car parked on a slope when the suspension is depressurised though, even if not on the level. Mine was like this when I bought it - approximately 1.5 litres over filled, fine on the level, but the first time I lowered the suspension while the back of the car was up on ramps oil started pouring down through the engine bay onto the ground... #-o
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Even when the car is bottomed out you can still see the top of the filters. The reservoir has a weird design to prevent air being drawn into the pump, etc. I believe that the system uses about 4l LHM, which is spread out through the suspension, brakes and steering, so the reservoir appears low when the car is at normal height.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Orinico, you still haven't told us where the indicator is when the suspension has settled at HIGH (control lever right back).

The LHM reservoir level MUST be checked with the car on a level surface, engine idling with the suspension on HIGH (takes at least 30 seconds to settle). If the little orange/yellow disc stays in the top of the dome, either it has stuck (not uncommon) or the reservoir is over-full.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

in all the years i have worked on and around hydraulic citroens, i have never seen a stuck float,

it is such a simple unit i cant see how it could get stuck
Regards, malcolm.

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It can't stick Malcolm, as anyone who has taken one out can see. (They can be removed after turning 90 degrees and lifting on the Xantia, from memory ? I'm sure I've had one out on a Xantia separately from the main top unit)

What can happen though is that sticky height correctors can cause the suspension not to always fully pressurise on the high setting, therefore the amount of oil that the suspension draws out of the tank when the suspension is set to high can vary from time to time giving the impression that the level is higher or lower than it was the previous time it was checked even though no oil has been lost or gained in the system.

My current Xantia with its sticky rear height corrector behaves like this. It's best to wait at least 3 minutes with the engine idling with the height up for the reading to settle in case the height correctors are a bit sticky as this can lead to slow pressurising to maximum height.

Oil is still flowing out of the tank and into the suspension for some time after the height no longer appears to be rising because whilst the suspension is compressed against the bump stops there is still more room for oil to compress the nitrogen in the spheres until the pressure reaches equilibrium.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Coyote16
My Cars: Citroën Xantia SX-2000

Post by Coyote16 »

I know what does orinoco74 say!
I have Xantia for almost 8 years, I always used to check my fluid level using the yellow floater and it used to work fine. But now, I have a very very poor steering and braking and also my rear suspension makes too much noise when the car is moving but when I check the fluid level it seems super normal.

When I add some LHM, everything goes perfect, but there is no change in floater level. My mechanic says your floater is not working well and you have to memorize the fluid level by eyes and check it in reservoir using a flashlight.

I also need a photo from inside of a well-working Xantia's reservoir to memorize the level.