How to check VSX suspension?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

How to check VSX suspension?

Post by Old-Guy »

Off to look at a 2.1VSX estate in the morning (our lovely green estate died in France :cry: :cry: ), I know I've seen posts on this subject, but I can't find a quick guide on how to check if the Hydractive system is working as I've never owned one (apart from a donor wreck).

Could someone point me at a suitable thread ASAP please?

If I buy it, you'll soon hear about it! :lol:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: How to check VSX suspension?

Post by Mandrake »

The main thing to do is a bounce test to see if the hard/soft switching is working.

Let the engine idle and bounce the front and rear suspension as you would on any Xantia - should be nice and soft, softer than what you're used to if all the spheres are good.

Then turn the engine off, close all doors and wait at least 30 seconds (you should hear a distinct click when the electrovalves go off) and then try the bounce test again. Both ends should now be much stiffer - there should be a little bit of movement but it will be rather stiff.

If it passes that test its probably working ok. If there is no change and its always stiff then it could either be that the hydractive regulator spheres are punctured, or that the hard/soft switching is not working. (possibly electrovalve diodes)

After the car has sat for at least 30 seconds with the doors closed and engine off open a door and you should hear a distinct click coming from the front and rear of the car - that's the electrovalves switching back to soft. Failure to hear this click may indicate an electrical problem. There should be a continuous high pitched whine after the click as well but unless you have good hearing in a quiet area you may not hear it, but generally under the bonnet you should be able to hear the whine with the engine off and a door open.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

If its any help buddy my old VSX estate had great suspension that, if you let it know what you were doing, was almost 'active' in its behaviour.. for example, a slight turn in before a full steering demand had the feeling of loading up the outside of the car and held it almost perfectly level through the bends.... I hope that makes sense? In other words when used properly there was very little body roll.
'rolls in a 1.9TD Syn-bus!'
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Simon thanks so much for that concise explanation; exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find.

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The long version is in this thread (ignore any activa specific stuff like rams and leaning, worn rods and rattling bushes...