ZX MOT failure....... suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

radar
My Cars:

ZX MOT failure....... suspension

Post by radar »

Hi all,
many months ago I had asked for help about a creaking and twanging from the front springs...
Mot man found the fault today, suspension turret bearings seized..
Ok then,
whats the best way to repair ??
can I replace the bearing as a seperate item or is it sealed and inbuilt into a full replaceable item ??
(as springs are OK but hard to say if shockers are Ok until stripped)
can I buy full spring and strut allready assembled as a bolt on unit
can I buy just the top turret and bearing ?
I dont want to go salvage yard route unless I can see where and how its come from .....
do I have to disconnect the drive shaft/ bottom ball joints and take the whole leg out disc and all then strip on bench
or will luck be on my side and the bottom pinch bolt comes out and split the shocker base from the stub/ hub ??
Only a quick look at Haynes, aint had a torch inside wheel arch yet to see whats involved as only got to find out after closing and never had the time to query factors or browse andyspare for info
so post here first and browse and hopefully buy the time I am back so kind chappie will have dropped me a bit of info so I can crack on at the weekend and get it sorted
ohh yes brake pipe flaring tool for Citroen ends can I buy on here ??
rotton brake pipe too nsf
I need special Citroen pipe dont I its bigger than 3'16 ?? metric ??
CU
Radar
1994 ZX 1.9d estate 155,000 miles
radar
My Cars:

Post by radar »

OHH I ALWAYS SPELL CITROEN WRONG !!!! DOHHHHHHHHHH........
CU
RADAR
thanks in advance
radar
My Cars:

Post by radar »

quick browse in shop
£4.75 each for top bearing ..... could this be a cheap repair ??
maybe this bearing is replaceable after all
still comments needed
do I need a hyd press to carry out work ??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Radar -
Have a look on these ZX suspension schematics :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/zxser/zx.html
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

From the diagrams Anders posted a link to, looks like a pretty standard set up. Remove the strut bu taking the pinch bolt out of the hub and then taking the 3 small bolts off the top. Separate the strut (you need a set of spring compressers and a lot of nerve - do NOT improvise here - if the spring lets go it will probably take your head off!). Fit the new bearing, and 'do a Haynes'. Depending on how close you are to GSF / when you need the car, I'd take the strut off and apart, and assess whether repair is feasible - you may even find that just a good clean and re-grease will do - before buying the bits, in case it's beyond repair.
Richard
Jon

Post by Jon »

Usually find that when you get the whole lot apart on a ZX, 205, C15 et al, the Strut top mount (the rubber metal bit) is falling apart as well; as the Bearing sits below it, its a good plan to change the mount at the same time.
ZX no power steering top strut mount 503876 GSF N45712 £12.50
ZX + Pas 503878 not avail from GSF, £28.97 + Vat from Citroen.
radar
My Cars:

Post by radar »

Hi Jon,
I ordered the bearings last night online.....
then when I dug out the gsf catalogue I saw the tops as seperate available items (£12 2001 Catalogue)
oh bugger I thought
question is do you get the bearings with the top bit or not ?
looking in daylight today the rubber is cracked and flaky but its only a thin cover of rubber as was suprised to see steel so quick.
if I need the turrets I will order them to do the job right
I have the proper compressors as this is not my first spring job
my other question is shockers
150,000 miles thats a lot of bouncing and nearly ten years old so whats the common find when stripping the shockers ?? are they always knackered ?? at twenty odd quid to replace is it worth the hassle and just do it right
I wish I had waited a little more till I got some feedback before I ordered the bits from gsf.... hammered for postage !!
some thing in life I never learn
I MUST BE MORE PATIENT
THANKS
RADAR
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Come on Radar [:)]
Even at GSF they are humans - get them on the phone & try see if your order has left stock [;)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

No, the rubber metal bit ("Strut top mount") does not come with the bearings, you need to buy the bearings too, as you already have.
I would agree that the front dampers, at 150k are probably past their prime. Mine are hanging in there well at 125200 with no leaks and ride still OK.....................
radar
My Cars:

Post by radar »

Hi Anders,
no Jon and crew run an efficent service , bearings arrived this morning
Bang goes my weekend of having clean hands for two days
CU
RADAR
oh just a quick plug for GSF
went to factors to compare prices ( bit of yorkshire blood in me)
gobsmacked at prices they want to charge !! approx double of what I wanted (two different factors .. just to double check)
stuff them I said , I will wait and order online and save ££££££'s
radar
My Cars:

Post by radar »

Hi all,
just to say job done in a couple of hours.... bit of a cheat but did the deed
instead dropping out the whole strut or splitting from hub pinch bolt which is time consuming and plenty of siezed stuff to contend with
all I did was drop the anti roll bar link off strut, and removed the track rod and dropped the brake hose from out off its clip, this gives you the flex and as much downward play to access
now strip the spring and strut as you would in the bench compressors etc but do it in situ .... remove the strut top and bearing
try and keep a straight face when splitting unit apart as the condition of the bearing pack may not be for the faint hearted
how the hell may be a phrase used
anyway clean up your turret top, refit new bearing (I dropped a bit of light oil in mine for pre lube and made a difference) then wangle and reassmemble in reverse order of removal taking care with the strut top sitting in the correct location as you would on bench assembly
jobs a good one
no more cursing now when parking in tight gaps... " I wish this car had power steering"
maybe a quick check for problem is,
turn steering on full lock, put both your hands around the top of the spring and try and turn the spring either way, a good bearing will want to flex and turn, a siezed one doesnt want to budge
anyway try and enjoy the sunshine before it gets dark
CU
Radar