lock sequence

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

lock sequence

Post by boristhespie »

Now this is going to sound like a wierd question but is it possible in a mk1 C5 to change when the central locking kicks in. My parents car allows the lock to be set BEFORE all the doors are closed. The C5 needs all doors shut before it locks. I find this a pain in the butt as my parents are like glacial zombies getting out the car and I can find myself waiting until the sun freezes over before they finally shut the damn door.
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: lock sequence

Post by myglaren »

Both of mine will only lock with all doors and boot/tailgate closed.
I can lock it from a fair distance so waiting for people to exit is never a problem.
Rarely gets locked anyway.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

myglaren wrote:Both of mine will only lock with all doors and boot/tailgate closed.
I can lock it from a fair distance so waiting for people to exit is never a problem.
Rarely gets locked anyway.

What's your address! :wink:

Mine won't lock until all doors and boot are shut. Don't know, but I very much doubt if the central locking will operate with a door open. What kind of car does your parents have?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

After about 9 months I've gotten used to having to wait until all the doors are closed before locking. Was one of my first complaints about the C5.

However now I moan about my parents' Primera having to press the open button twice if passengers need to get in :mrgreen: and never really use the can lock before all doors are shut function (as I have gotten used to needing all the doors being closed before locking).

qprdude - I know that primeras P11-144 and P12 models both can be locked before all doors are shut.... it used to be quite handy when getting shopping out,that you could lock and put your keys in your pocket and just close the door/boot, and it'll be locked.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Last gen Astra.
C'est pas possible!
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

yea i got it on my xant too..thank god cause would the door lock properly if it wasnt closed properly!?
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Am I the only one that thinks being able to lock the doors before closing them (so they individually lock automatically when closed) is a terrible, terrible idea ? :roll:

So you accidentally leave the keys on the seat, shut the door and then you're screwed ? :? Or you bump the lock button on the key ring without realising, get out of the car and shut the door to fill up with petrol and the doors lock on you ? No thanks.

The paranoid part of me would not be happy to press a button then hope that other people close their doors properly after I've already walked away without double checking anyway.

The good old fashioned way of locking the doors with a remote after exiting and all doors have closed has a number of advantages - you get a warning bleep if any of the doors are ajar, meaning that if the lights flash in their normal way without a bleep you have concrete evidence that all of the doors are locked before you walk off, and its impossible to lock yourself out because the key fob must be IN YOUR HAND at the time the doors lock. Whether your hand is inside or outside the car at the time doesn't matter, you still have the key so can't lock yourself out.

As long as the fob has a few metres range its really not that inconvenient when other passengers are a bit slow getting out, and you have the peace of mind that the car is in fact locked and that one of your glacial zombies didn't in fact forget to shut the door properly. :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

'So you accidentally leave the keys on the seat, shut the door and then you're screwed'

been there..
a very expensive mistake, which involved a hire car, Germany, a crane to remove the locked car, a key being sent by train, and some unhappy fellow travellers
;)
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

its more polite to wait for everyone to get out lol....
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Would a car manufacturer really not foresee the flaws in this? Beggars belief. I'm not entirely sure I see ANY benefits at all. Is it to save a micro-second of time?
So you get out of the car, and something so important means you don't have time to wait until your passengers get out before pressing the central locking button. ?
What? are you going to run away from them!
Please tell me I'm missing some aspect of this"option".
Rick.

taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

lmao^^^!
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

I do see both sides, benefit being that car doors can be shut with almost any part of the body, locking with a key needs fingers or thumbs. If you have something heavy in the back seat, you can lock the car put the keys in your pocket, pick up whatever it is and then close the door with your leg or ass or so.
A big heavy box is far easier to pick up from a soft seat than from brick or concrete, especially if there are no handles.
Whilst not an everyday occurrence, it is a benefit. Never been caught out with leaving car keys in the car after locking, not sure why anyone would lock the car then put the keys inside the car :)

On the primera the interior light would also stay on if the doors aren't shut even after locking so has a tell there if a door hasn't been shut properly, not as useful in daytime though :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

You don't need to change the central locking, you just need to change the passenger seats...

...for ejector seats :devil:
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

'not sure why anyone would lock the car then put the keys inside the car '

;)
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

jgra1 wrote:'not sure why anyone would lock the car then put the keys inside the car '

;)

Hmmm, how many times have we left the keys in the car by mistake? If all doors had to be shut BEFORE the locking would work, it couldn't happen. Sorry, I just don't see it as a benefit, just a PITA.
Rick.