2009 C5 1.6 HDI 110 - does it come with DPF or not?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spako

2009 C5 1.6 HDI 110 - does it come with DPF or not?

Post by spako »

As per subject, does this model come with DPF/FAP or not?

How do I check?

And next question, which oil would you recommend for this engine?

I know the manual says Total Quartz Ineo Ecs 5W30 but was wondering if anyone has better recommendation?
2011 Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 dCi 110 Expression+ Silver
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2009 C5 1.6 HDI 110 - does it come with DPF or not?

Post by RichardW »

Almost certainly it has a DPF - open the bonnet, look down the front of the engine, if there it is a big lump in the exhaust under the turbo with pipes going to it. Any oil that meets the spec - it MUST be a low ash/SAPS oil - will be OK. Just change it regularly, and check the injector bolts are tight - these engines like lunching turbos if oil changes are not kept up and / or the injectors work loose and start blowing by.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I believe all the 16 valve engines have a DPF, follow the exhaust from the manifold back and you should see it. Up until 2008 they have a DPF so I would assume that yours has.

Regarding the oil, look at what the specification is and get the cheapest oil that meets it but change it about twice as often as they say, that will help prevent turbo problems.

Peter
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

And change / clean out the in-line oil filter to the turbo, they often get neglected and block.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
spako

Post by spako »

Peter.N. wrote:Regarding the oil, look at what the specification is and get the cheapest oil that meets it but change it about twice as often as they say, that will help prevent turbo problems.
Provided it's the low saps type of oil I guess?
spako

Post by spako »

mooseshaver wrote:And change / clean out the in-line oil filter to the turbo, they often get neglected and block.
How difficult is to change/clean this in-line turbo filter?

Where do I find it? How do I access it?
spako

Post by spako »

Instead of flushing the engine with an additive I will be doing a double oil change in near future.

I'll drain the old oil, replace old filter and fill up with cheap Carlube 5W30 oil then I will do a quick run (would that be enough?).
Then I will drain the oil again, fit a new filter and fill up with either Castrol Magnatec 5W30 C2 or Total Quartz Ineo ECS oil.

Does it sound like a good plan?

A few questions:

1) Am I OK to use a cheap engine oil for a quick run only or would it have to be a high quality low saps oil?

2) Castrol Magnatec 5W30 C2 or Total Quartz Ineo ECS?

3) Where do you normally buy engine oil? Online? Ebay? Euro Car Parts? Anywhere else?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I get mine from Trago Mills but its only available in the westcountry. Some of the motor factors do reasonably priced oil.

Peter
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

Thought I would mention Triple QX from Europarts it is fully synthetic 5w 40w it is cheap,my C5 2009 VTR Petrol gets serviced at Citroen and then I keep topping up with this,the problem with using a cheap semi synthetic oil is there is no standards for how much of each is in the can,who knows maybe the very expensive ones only have a small amount of Synthetic in it the whole thing is a lottery.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have seen that Asda do their own label 5W40 fully synthetic oil for £20. They are also doing Castrol CTX 4l for £12 (well, they were on Sunday just gone). Might be worth a visit.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
spako

Post by spako »

spako wrote:Instead of flushing the engine with an additive I will be doing a double oil change in near future.

I'll drain the old oil, replace old filter and fill up with cheap Carlube 5W30 oil then I will do a quick run (would that be enough?).
Then I will drain the oil again, fit a new filter and fill up with either Castrol Magnatec 5W30 C2 or Total Quartz Ineo ECS oil.

A few questions:

1) Am I OK to use a cheap engine oil for a quick run only or would it have to be a high quality low saps oil?

2) Castrol Magnatec 5W30 C2 or Total Quartz Ineo ECS?

3) Where do you normally buy engine oil? Online? Ebay? Euro Car Parts? Anywhere else?
Anyone?
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

spako wrote:Instead of flushing the engine with an additive I will be doing a double oil change in near future.

I would say only if you use a fully synthetic oil for the 'flushing' change that is compatible with what is put in afterwards. After a change there will always be some residual oil left in the engine, and if this isn't fully synthetic, or is of low quality, this residual oil may well start to break down or carbonise, even though the bulk of the oil has been changed.

I would say it is best to use Ineo ECS or equivalent, but change it more frequently than is specified.
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

spako wrote:
mooseshaver wrote:And change / clean out the in-line oil filter to the turbo, they often get neglected and block.
How difficult is to change/clean this in-line turbo filter?

Where do I find it? How do I access it?
It is in the banjo bolt that feeds oil to the turbo. the Cat /Fap has to come off to access it. Reading the Citroen documentation I am not sure that this little gauze filter is still fitted at the factory, and the service instructions say that it should be removed and discarded if work is done on the turbo, so you might find your car doesn't have one.

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about the FAP system. Going by the rate of consumption on my 1.6 Hdi, it might well be 100,000 miles before the additive needs topping up and the filter cleaning / exchanging. It really is a remarkably effective system that reduces the amount of particulates coming out the exhaust to nearly zero. My wife has a diesel that isn't fitted with a FAP and I nearly choked when I unthinkingly started up in the garage. With my car if you do this you really can't tell that the engine has been started up.

The additive system used in PSA cars also means that regeneration of the FAP occurs at much lower temperatures than the system used on most other makes and is much less prone to filter blockage when used for short journeys. In fact I am so impressed that I wouldn't consider buying a diesel that didn't have a FAP system, and given the improvement in emission standards in recent years, any new diesel car is likely to have one fitted in any case.
spako

Post by spako »

Bob L'eponge wrote:I would say only if you use a fully synthetic oil for the 'flushing' change that is compatible with what is put in afterwards. After a change there will always be some residual oil left in the engine, and if this isn't fully synthetic, or is of low quality, this residual oil may well start to break down or carbonise, even though the bulk of the oil has been changed.

I would say it is best to use Ineo ECS or equivalent, but change it more frequently than is specified.
I got 4l of Carlube 5W30 Fully Synthetic for flush and Total Ineo ECS for clean change so I think I'll be fine.

How long flushing with temporary oil would you recommend?
spako

Post by spako »

Bob L'eponge wrote:It is in the banjo bolt that feeds oil to the turbo. the Cat /Fap has to come off to access it. Reading the Citroen documentation I am not sure that this little gauze filter is still fitted at the factory, and the service instructions say that it should be removed and discarded if work is done on the turbo, so you might find your car doesn't have one.

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about the FAP system. Going by the rate of consumption on my 1.6 Hdi, it might well be 100,000 miles before the additive needs topping up and the filter cleaning / exchanging. It really is a remarkably effective system that reduces the amount of particulates coming out the exhaust to nearly zero. My wife has a diesel that isn't fitted with a FAP and I nearly choked when I unthinkingly started up in the garage. With my car if you do this you really can't tell that the engine has been started up.

The additive system used in PSA cars also means that regeneration of the FAP occurs at much lower temperatures than the system used on most other makes and is much less prone to filter blockage when used for short journeys. In fact I am so impressed that I wouldn't consider buying a diesel that didn't have a FAP system, and given the improvement in emission standards in recent years, any new diesel car is likely to have one fitted in any case.
I'm not convinced my car has FAP fitted considering the emissions (and £135 tax a year), I need to have look under the bonnet.