4HP20 Lexia Faults

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

4HP20 Lexia Faults

Post by Ben82 »

Had a visit from Bandit12 today to pair a new key up for him.
Was an interesting visit, and proved that my Lexia worked with a different C5 (a 2.2 HDI auto) :D

Anyway doing the general run through of faults, there were a few that appeared, most notably was some Auto gearbox ones.

Here are the lexia screenshots:

Cleared them all now, so hopefully they were just one offs. But has anyone seen these ones before and know a potential solution? Seems a bit odd to have logged Snow and Sport active at the same time.
Gearbox has done ~118K miles, so is also due an ATF change.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 4HP20 Lexia Faults

Post by CitroJim »

If they cleared and haven't returned Ben, I'd not worry. It seems quite often that these sort of faults appear all over the various ECUs and moreso on a multiplexed car...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Given that the engine RPM was zero and the battery voltage was 7.3 volts when the fault was logged I would say that it occured just as the engine was cranked! If so the battery and/or battery connections could be on their way out or the battery was flat at the time. Not surprising that the ECU would have trouble controlling the solenoids with only 7.3 volts to work with.

One other possibility is a poor power connection specifically to the gearbox ECU, did you happen to check the live voltage reading from the gearbox ECU to see if it looked normal ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well spotted on the battery volts Simon. That'll explain it fully :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Thanks Guys,

I probably should have connected the dots there Simon too.... there were a few other faults logged that I was putting down to possibly disconnecting the battery before things had a chance to shutdown... as there were a number of "lost communication with X ECU" etc.

The other thing I did say to Bandit12 was that these faults *could* potentially be from years ago as he said the car had been sitting still for quite some time (he's only had it about 6 weeks, and the previous owner had left it dormant for a while - a couple of years I think).

I think I could actually wager that all these issues have come from the previous owner when they were reviving the car back from its deep sleep!

We didn't go off for a drive in the car to see if any of the errors reappeared, only a second crank.... but going by what you have said Simon, it would stand to reason that the issue most likely only occurred when cranking.

We are going to try to meet up again when I'm next over (most likely to do his ATF change), so can recheck after he's driven it around for a couple of months, but I'm now fairly confident that the error(s) won't be back.

:D
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi Guys, a big thank you to Ben for pairing up the key and to you all for your input re the fault codes. As Ben said I've only had the car about 6 weeks with no probs so far. Previous owner used it infrequently as a company car but sold it to me 6 months after buying it and getting it a full service and replacing the diesel exhaust filter. Got lots of paperwork and full service history which shows new battery fitted in 2009 so probably will need replacing sooner rather than later. Engine was off but ignition on during the Lexia check and not had a prob starting car even when left standing for 3 weeks on mates driveway while I sorted insurance road tax etc.

And yes be good to meet up again Ben and I'll help you change the auto fluid in your gearbox.

only other thing that came up was EOLYS fluid level low but nothing on the dashboard to confirm. Will make that 1st job. Is this something that you guys would recommend doing yourself or getting it done professionally. Remember reading its quite an expensive and caustic chemical.
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

It's probably worth starting a new thread for the eolys questions. As many with diesels that can help may not check an automatic gb thread :)