Slow starter on 2.1 TD Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonesy
My Cars:

Slow starter on 2.1 TD Xantia

Post by Jonesy »

Have a later shape ('98) 2.1 TD Xantia that sometimes turns over very slowly from cold. Thought that the obvious thing to do was have the battery spike tested and it was still fine (even though original). Have checked obvious things like boot light etc., but cannot find any possible cause for the battery to be draining.
The car will always start but rather than firing instantly sometimes turns over 2-3 times before firing. Don't think there is a problem with glow-plugs because the motor actually appears to turn over slowly. Anyone have any ideas as winter is approaching and I don't want it to fail?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The fact that the fault is intermittent suggests to me that a starter motor brush is sticking. Alternatives might be faulty solenoid or a poor connection or earth and its probably worth checking the connections first.
Starters generally have 4 brushes, wired in pairs so if one sticks the motor will work but not so well.
jeremy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Even if this isn't your problem, doing it will save you a lot of hassel one day:
Buy a pair of good quality brass/bronze battery terminals (you can get camlock terminal for just a fiver a pair). Cut open the nasty lead factory fitted terminals and check for signs of overheating, oxidized wires etc. Clean up the wires, apply vaseline and screw on your new terminals. I "won" over 0.5 V at the headlights by doing this and the starter spins faster as well.
//NiSk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Mark - Lucky old you to be still on the original battery. Your 2.1 is the same age as mine and my battery gave up the ghost just over two years ago. Regarding the slow turn over of the starter motor - mine has been slow from new (at least, slower than the other three cars), although it never fails to start.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

There are batteries are there are batteries - last year I had to replace the original battery on my XM TD12. At that stage it was 8.5 years old and had done 380 000 km. So I'm not complaining. Well I live in Sweden, so it is possible that Citroën fit a heavy duty version for our climate; -20 deg. C and a cold diesel engine are no laughing matter!
//NiSk