Sphere tool

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oberland

Sphere tool

Post by Oberland »

Thank you for your replies,Blueboy 2001 & Kowalski re front spheres.
I need a tool for getting the front spheres off but don't want to pay almost £ 30 for a tool I hope I will only use once, any ideas?
Oberland
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

The front spheres are much easier than the back, so you will probably get away with using a steel band oil filter remover.
My last ones came off by hand !
Mat
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If any help - I've made a description of a DIY tool :
http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I couldn't shift them with my strap wrench, too much wind up in it.
Last set I changed I used a rather large stilson. Before that I have used a heavy duty chain wrench (not the lightweight oil filter type, this one was used for tightening up joints on refrigeration pipes in an ice rink so it's pretty heavy and has a 18 inch solid steel handle).
A hammer and cold chisel is the last resort and can damage the spheres but is very effective at shifting properly stuck spheres.
I have seen a large jubilee clip and hammer recommended too.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

AlanS mentioned a tool he used that was designed for removing the lids from jars and the like and had proved successful. Shortly after, I came across these things:
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBOA.html
They're called a Boa Constrictor, I bought a set of 3 from Costco (one smaller and one bigger than the one in the link above) and they were less than £10 for the set. The largest one I have is also metal. They don't look much, but I've used them for a couple of jobs and you can get a surprising amount of torque behind them.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I know this is the A&D site but the Pleiades wrench is bomb proof always works and at about ?30 pays for itself the first time you have a sphere that is hard to remove, I have had mine nearly 25 years now and regard it as an absolute must if your going to mess with the spheres, I've done the Stillson, strap wrench et al and it probably cost me more in time effort and smashed knuckles than the proper tool cost, treat yourself then you can change all the spheres in about 20 mins no matter how tight they are. I also tend to give the junction of the sphere / suspension unit a good hard clunk with an aluminium drift and a big hammer first. All spheres are best loosened with the hydraulic system pressurised otherwise the suspension legs tend to turn, ripping the pipe out of the rear units! :-)))
pete
________
Efini ms-6
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ghostrider</i>

I know this is the A&D site but the Pleiades wrench is bomb proof always works and at about £30 pays for itself the first time you have a sphere that is hard to remove
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Couldn't agree more. You've no idea how easy the job becomes with the right tool. Haven't regretted getting mine.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I've owned my (Pleiades) sphere tool for 17 "happy" years. Mind you, with a ZX and Berlingo on the fleet, plus possibly an Ami joining, I don't use it much!!! :-))