Seat foams - has anyone changed one?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brittleware

Seat foams - has anyone changed one?

Post by brittleware »

Hi, I've a new foam on the way for Fiat Ulysse (C8 Pug 807 in disguise) as the old driver's side one is saggy. It's only the seat squab, not the backrest. I'm assuming that the foam is glued (or sprayed) onto the sear cloth. Has anyone any experience of doing this? TIA!
Citroen 2cv
Citroen 2.5 Safari
Citroen XM 3.0 V6
Citroen XM 2.0 turbo
Fiat Ulysse 2.2Hdi
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Normally there's a basic pad of moulded foam withdeep cuts at all the major stitching points of the slip cover.

The cover then has a thin foam stiched to its back, to add the final "dress" appearance aspect. The cover also carries the listings (wires) which are snap clipped or hog-ring clipped to listings embedded deep in the main foam pad. This pulls the cover taut over the pad, and defines the panels you see in it.

Then the assembled pair is clipped to the seat frame. So to renew the cover or foam, you have to dismantle the entire squab or cushion - you'll almost certainly need hog ring pliers and some rings.
brittleware

Re: Seat foams - has anyone changed one?

Post by brittleware »

Thanks Addo - I'll go and get some rings and pliers. Guess I'd better photograph every step too, from what I've read about those listings.
Citroen 2cv
Citroen 2.5 Safari
Citroen XM 3.0 V6
Citroen XM 2.0 turbo
Fiat Ulysse 2.2Hdi
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I just snip the metal rings off & replace with cable ties. Far easier & I think it makes a better job as you can loosely tighten the ties then when you have the cover lined up & fitted nice you can do a final tighten on them all evenly. If you are re fitting the metal rings you need to pull them fully tight as you fit each one.
brittleware

Post by brittleware »

Cable ties sound a brilliant idea. Foam arrived today, waiting for a window of "car not used by wife" to do the job. Driving without a seat not an option!
Citroen 2cv
Citroen 2.5 Safari
Citroen XM 3.0 V6
Citroen XM 2.0 turbo
Fiat Ulysse 2.2Hdi