Drive shaft gaiter repair

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Drive shaft gaiter repair

Post by Taffyrhys »

Hi All

Just spotted my front drive shaft gaiter has got a small hole about 4mm Dia at the small end of the drive shaft. It look like its been knawed at, but looks repairable as its on the small end that doesn't flex that much.

Does anybody know what type of repair patch i could use for this hole ? I suspect a cycle repair patch isn't man enough.

Cheers
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Drive shaft gaiter repair

Post by CitroJim »

No, I tried a cycle repair patch once and it didn't last long at all..

Sadly, replacement is the only answer really and not with one of those glue-together boots. Tried one of those once and they truly are a complete dead loss...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

I have recently tried the stretch boot type repairs, which mean that you dont have to split the cv joint or even remove the driveshaft, which saves on gearbox oil and a bit of labour.
I have been quite impressed with it. Only a few quid of ebay, including the cone to fit it with. I only fitted it as I couldn't get hold of the proper parts I needed in time for the MOT and intended to replace the driveshaft complete shortly after, however it has now been a few months and is still holding up fine no loss of grease.
To install you just whip of the driveshaft nut and pull the hub off, using the cone the boot slides over fairly easily.

Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stretchy ones are great Sam and I have a pukka cone for fitting them in my toolkit. The ones I meant that are not worth the bother are those that have a 'zip' down them that is glued up with superglue and boast that no dismantling at all is needed to fit them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
(Donor 2017)

Post by 411514 »

Yes I know the ones you talk of Jim. I had considered them before the stretchy type as obviously it means you dont even have to bother removing the hub, but I had heard that they often failed pretty quickly and glueing was a bit messy.

The hardest part of the stretchy boots was actually fitting the bandclips. To tighten them you really the need proper tool (not sure of its name), as its hard to get a really tight fit otherwise. I had to resort to bodging it with electrical wire strippers as these were the only 'pliers' I had with a thin enough edges.

Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i prefer the non stretchy tailor fit C/V boots,
not keen on the stretchy ones, because if a C/V boot is split wide open it will have allowed grit and s*h*i*t/dirt into the C/V joint,
if you now fit a stretchy boot you will trap this all inside the joint,

i will only resort to a stretchy one if a cant get the joint apart
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
(Donor 2017)

Post by 411514 »

Malcolm I agree that stretch boots are a bit of a bodge, I really didn't want to use one but I was in a rush for the MOT.

But there's not necessarily any reason why it would trap dirt inside the joint. I removed all the old grease with a brake cleaner aerosol till the joint was absolutely clean, not a speck of the old grease and then fitted the new one and packed the joint with new grease.
Surely that is no different to splitting the joint and fitting the proper boot.

My only real aversion to fitting the stretch boot was worries over its quality and longevity, especially since you have to stretch a 1" diameter hole to about 4-5"; however as I said it has been fine till now.

I'm not sure if it is against forum rules (if so mod's please delete), but the kit I used was off ebay J&R cv joints and included everything needed and the boot seemed really decent quality.

Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

411514 wrote: I'm not sure if it is against forum rules (if so mod's please delete), but the kit I used was off ebay J&R cv joints and included everything needed and the boot seemed really decent quality.
No, that's absolutely fine Sam. Always pleased to hear of recommendations like this.
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Sam i was not speaking specifically of your use of the stretchy boot, but in general,

sounds like yours was not split wide open anyway,

no disrespect to your self,
but i dont think it possible to wash/clean all the grease out in situe and still attached to the shaft,

when i remove the joint i fully dismantle it balls an all wash it out in petrol, then re/assemble it
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

That's where I get my stuff from J&R CV joints,never had any bother with them. I got the wrong CV joint wth ABS and they sent out a new one immediately. I returned the wrong one great service.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

I also got a stretch boot kit from J&R , about £5 posted I think? went onto the 806 anyway and I assume its done its job (well passed the mot and its now long gone)
Simon
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

Hi all,

I have successfully repaired small stone nicks in drive shaft gaiters by gluing on small patches (cut from an old butyl rubber inner tube - bike or car type) with superglue - fiddly but effective.
Obviously it is essential to remove all traces of leaked grease followed by abrading the surfaces. Apply firm pressure whilst the superglue cures carefully avoiding gluing your fingers to the boot! The repairs have been durable and no comments have been made at MOT time.
Don't forget a top up of new grease if necessary.

Ken
Ken Hall
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Would a dab of silicone do the trick for now (following careful degreasing, of course)?
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

I may give it a go by using a patch and see how it goes but if i have to remove the hub, what size socket do i need for the hub nut, i have Y reg 110 HDI estate? :) :)
(Donor 2017)

Post by 411514 »

35mm socket. You will need a good long breaker bar if not an impact wrench to remove it.

Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110