ZX Fuel Pump query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

ZX Fuel Pump query

Post by KP »

Does anyone know if the 1.9td XUD engined ZX's came with the Bosch pump or were they all lucas?

Also if one comes with a lucas how hard is it to convert to bosch? Im guessing ill need;
Pump
Injectors
Pump-Injector Pipes
All connectors off the loom that plugged into the bosch

Im just keeping an eye out as i want to run a second car now thats a bit better on fuel than the RR but it needs to be able to take any crap i throw at it.
The lucas can't do this job and after being quoted MORE to insure a C5 LX HDi90 than the RR i've decided its better to go with a 306 or zx as the insurance seems to drop quite a bit for them for god knows what reason i dont know as they would all be write offs with a tiny bump and got the same power and weight nearly... :(

Anyways i know the 306's didnt as they always came with an interwarmer fitted on them but if the ZX's didn't its a possible route for me to go as it will be a run into the ground affair so doesn't need to be great and as they are getting rarer and rarer i can live with getting a real rough one and giving it some good life before the chinese baked bean machine gets it.

The other option was an AX/Saxo/106 diesel but they are really stupid money to buy and i dont think i'd feel as safe in one as a zx although the AX i once had seemed to do 70mpg without issue :(
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: ZX Fuel Pump query

Post by spider »

Not sure on injectors, there is one way they work but not the other.

Personally I'd want pump / injectors / pipework to be honest.

Electronics, this could be fun as the anti theft module if fitted may well be different for Bosch vs Lucas. I've not yet checked this (I can with some more info) although it would be sensible to dearmour the replacement before fitting if possible if nothing else to save headaches when you find out the texton you currently have does not like the 'replacement' pump module.

Bosch pump sometimes has some coolant pipes on it for advance when cold, Lucas does not (appear) to have this. Not 100% sure on the fitment of this into a 306/ZX though may of been only for electronic advance (aka 406/Xantia) units.

306's , series 1 (K to early P) were Bosch with turbo and mostly Lucas without. series 2 (P to T) were 99% Lucas with turbo and Bosch without.

Intercooler, I was not aware the ZX TD did not have one, the thing to bear in mind is its atop the engine so you'd need to arrange some airflow. Take a look at the underside of a 306/405 bonnet to see what I mean.

TUD's, well keep well away from the elderly alloy 1.4 unit (only fitted to about L maybe early M reg) , its very slow and noisy and I think it 'feels' fragile. 1.5's actually quite reasonable although you do have to work them a bit, its best to think of it as a small petrol engine as torque seems to be a bit higher up the rev range than you'd expect from a diesel.

Expect high MPG. Mines such that I have not bothered to check it. At a guess its around 50 to 60mpg, possibly more I'm not really sure but I don't drive with heavy boots. Having said that on a 106/Saxo you cannot easily press it all the way down due to the pedal arrangement and where your feet naturally rest, could be me though. :)

EGR very very rarely gives concern on these (90% of 1.5's have EGR) it is very easily disabled by simply either removing the plug from the valve on the bulkhead of removing the vacuum pipe (plug it, I plugged mine at the servo 't' piece using a leakoff cap) , usual EGR nasty what appears to be an inlet manifold oil leak rather than running issues.

Quite reliable and easy to put right. Only downside is the engine bay is a bit tight for space. Pump/Cam have three bolts to adjust so not as straightforward as an XUD to do the belt but not really a problem to be honest.

Oil leaks can be caused by overfilling later models it seems, Andy suspects bigger capacity to cope with extended oil intervals may be the concern here. Its OK as long as its not overfull. I run mine around 4/5ths (leave about 5mm below the 'max' line) instead of completely full to the mark. It does not appear to use any oil either now. :)

Later (2000 on) TUD's are electronic pumps like the 406/Xantia 1.9TD, large ECU sits ontop the battery. They are very reliable I have one. Economy seems about the same, the only two downsides to this unit (TUD5B) compared to the earlier ones (TUD5) are nosier cold running (simply as there's no cold start cable and it plays with the timing to keep it running) and hot starting not 'instant' due to the timing not being mechanical, compared to the TUD5 earlier unit, still stars after two seconds cranking though. Seems to be normal.

Note killing EGR on these electronic ones will log a silent fault, to avoid this do not unplug the electronics just blank the vacuum and that's that. 'k' light will not come on for EGR fault anyway nor will it enter limp mode either.

EDIT... Tidied post and added a bit more info.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Cheers spider :)

Due to insurance on a second car it wont be a Xantia or 406 despite that being the easier option for me due to experience with them :(

I just cant understand the insurance co. £400 for a 2005 RR or £680 for a C5/Xantia

I'll have to dig around multi car policies a bit more but Admiral wouldn't let me use my NCB on both cars which is just stupid considering its a multi car policy for me to drive them both... I cant exactly drive both at once now!

Ideally i just need what ever banger i get on the cheapest 3rd party only policy as if its burnt down there would be no point claiming and if i ding it myself i wont be claiming either, and the same for glass really...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You're welcome. :) Only when I edited it did I realise how much I'd actually typed, :oops: waffling on I guess although hopefully most of it is in some-way useful.

Regarding insurance, watch out as I found (I know prices have increased a lot lately) the 106D (mines a 5door as well) costs a lot more to insure than the previous car (1600 Astra) which in turn was more than the 205TD. :( , to put it another way each 'newer' car I had was less powerful and slower than the previous but insurance went up substantially. The 205 would eat both of those alive.

To put it into perspective, I found I could insure a V6 406 for about 70-80 more than the 106D. There appeared to be some kind of minimum / premium for having a 106 for me it seemed, area perhaps as its not brilliant here.

I posted a topic about it a while back, I think the general consensus was the 106 (even the oil burning model) was seen as a chav-mobile which was a bit unfair especially in my case as I don't even have a 'chav-ette' to go along with me. :D , licence since 91 / no fault claims / full ncb

It's worth seeing how much the insurance may be on the 106/Saxo/AX first that's all I'm saying. 306/ZX could be cheaper.

EDIT... more info as usual.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG