strut tops

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

strut tops

Post by froggy »

Hi, just got an advisory on the mot. they are saying corroded strut tops on my Xantia! my question is, "Kingas" still the best place to source the strut tops?, cheers Terry. :shock:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: strut tops

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

From what I have read, Kingas don't supply strut tops, they re-furbish the ones that you send them, and add a feature that prevents them from spearing the bonnet if they fail in the future. This is their website;

http://www.elastomer.eu/en/strut-mounts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On page 2 of this link there is a lot of information from KINGas;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... lit=Kingas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Series 2 cars don't pop the same way. If you could get an uncorroded set off such a vehicle (maybe from France?) it could be a cheaper option.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Mandrake »

addo wrote:Series 2 cars don't pop the same way. If you could get an uncorroded set off such a vehicle (maybe from France?) it could be a cheaper option.
A few questions spring to mind -

What's different about their construction, and did they change over at exactly the S1/S2 transition ?

Has anyone on the forum had a S2 strut top fail ?

Do S2 strut tops fit on a S1 car ? I'm curious because when I bought my S1 1997 Xantia in 2005 the strut top rubbers were well on their way out, (cracked, distorted) but the replacement ones fitted by the seller were considerably more robust and sturdy looking and slightly different in design... S2 strut tops perhaps ?

The strut tops on my S2 V6 look ok but I haven't inspected them really closely so I'm wondering what the potential risk might be now its nearly 15 years old...
Last edited by Mandrake on 16 May 2013, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: strut tops

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I think that the S2 Xantia strut tops DO fail, as Taffy had a problem with his 2,0L HDi. The pictures of his strut tops were SCARY! They are in this post on page 3 and page 6;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 9&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've personally seen plenty of failed S1 tops, never an S2 car. Corrosion will affect anything and is not the core weakness of the design; the problem is the rubber tearing and lack of "failsafe" - they all broke here with negligible corrosion. I'd be suspicious of any failed S2 pair as having been swapped at some point earlier.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Strut Mounts

Post by Old-Guy »

Mandrake wrote:Do S2 strut tops fit on a S1 car ? I'm curious because when I bought my S1 1997 Xantia in 2005 the strut top rubbers were well on their way out, (cracked, distorted) but the replacement ones fitted by the seller were considerably more robust and sturdy looking and slightly different in design... S2 strut tops perhaps ?
The short answer is "Yes".

In fact service.citroen list S2 strut mounts as replacements for S1. The are a direct replacement without any faffing about. New ones for the standard 6-sphere suspension are still available, or were a few weeks ago, from Citroen. The prices worked out slightly cheaper than Kingas (eurolastomer.com). Judging from the delivery delays, and my interpretation of the date stamps on the one that finally arrived, Citroen are having to scour dealer stocks so the supply may soon dry up.

As that table shows, you also need to change the strut boot because the S2 strut mounts have a larger diameter ring that the boot clips onto. It's not a long or difficult job, but it helps to go about it knowing what the pitfalls are. Having recently done the O/S one, I've written a sensible step-by-step method with a list of parts and essential tools.

If a boot keeps falling down, THE STRUT MOUNT IS ABOUT TO FAIL. I caught mine just in time, having ignored the warning sign for a while because I couldn't see any other signs of failure.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)