My Beloved Xantia Wrote Off By Pizza Guy :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmy69
My Cars:

My Beloved Xantia Wrote Off By Pizza Guy :(

Post by Timmy69 »

My Xantia was written off a few weeks back by a guys out delivering pizza's :(..He hit my car at about 45 mph damaging the o/s rear end to bad to repair..so the insurance company decided to write it off.
Really loved the 2.0 hdi so am deciding to get a Xsara Piccasso when the insurance finally goes through.
What i really want is your honest opinions on that type of car.(which i know i will get from you guys)..and also what to look out for when buying one.I have seen one on a 51 plate (private reg No) with MOT for 9 months Priced at £690.00..And really just wanted to hear off you guys wether its a bargain or not..It has 148k on the clock so i will take what you say onboard as usual and just wanna hear your thoughts
Thanks In Advance
Timmy
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: My Beloved Xantia Wrote Off By Pizza Guy :(

Post by Chlorate »

I have a feeling you'll miss the Xantia.

Let alone ride quality etc. the Xantia is just a really good car - where I'm sure the Xsara Picasso is also very good in its own right; it's certainly bigger on the inside than the Xantia, probably has a better safety rating, is more practical generally speaking especially if you have a couple of kids and all the bits that go with that, and for that price with tax and ticket you can't argue.
But whenever I see something like that I can't help but think that it's just a vehicle - a box on wheels that moves people and things around. I can't imagine they're much fun to drive since I can't imagine they're designed to be fun to drive.

Just my opinion of course, to each their own and everyone has different needs for their car. I just don't quite get this new craze of making cars bigger, taller and more "bubbly".

148k is fine for a well kept 2.0HDi, I bought mine with 146 on and didn't think anything of it (although many people call me mad).
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Timmy69
My Cars:

Post by Timmy69 »

Thanks for that Chlorate:).I am always one to take opinions on board and really value anything that i am told.I have spoke to a few of the guys on here and they are amazing as i am sure you are..I am one for needing to know things before i rush in head first..I don't want a car to be boy racing in..way too old for that :P..Just want something like you say thats comfortable and will protect my family from guys rushing to deliver Pizza..
Things i really need to know are the picasso's bad points and are they expensive to upkeep..where they are likely to be faulty and what to watch out for.
And the Xantia was like like losing an arm because i ahd put a lot of time and effort into it and just about got it spot on..It had passed it test like leass than 2 weeks before with flying colours only to be assigned to a scrapyard which is a shame because the engine and everything else about the car was absolutely brilliant..after help from the guys on here should i add.
I hope the new Car ..the Picasso in question or another one will bring me the same joy :)
Gonna cry myself to sleep again :(

Timmy
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd hope any settlement included pizza deliveries for life, FOC.

The XPic has same trailing arm wear issues as Berlingo, 405, 306 etc. Assume it'll need doing, sooner than later. No idea on soundness of body, but they are mechanically quite similar to a raft of other models and therefore bits usually cheap/available in the aftermarket.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Rusty sills. It's been discussed here somewhere before.
Dash display bulbs needing replaced may be tricky to do, one of my in-laws had half go on one of theirs and the garage they were using said it was expensive to replace and not to bother till they all gone.
Ride is better than some cars but you will miss the xant as others have said. My c5 estate fully loaded including a heavy disability scooter (250 kilos?) is still far more comfortable than an unloaded Pic.
Rear seats can cause pain for tall adults on long journeys. A friend went to hospital in agony but found nothing wrong just seat upright? But he may be just weird. I've done short distance fine.
That only bad things I know.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

They are going to be fitted with the HDi90 8v engine in that age of picasso.

Strong units in that i've driven and owned a few now. 1 in a Xantia estate with 230k+ when i sold it.
a 306 which had 272k when i sold it and seen it once since so know its still alive and my current C5 HDi90 is barely run in with 107k on the clock!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Dad had a XPic 90Hdi SX, I found it under responsive compared with the 1.9TD Xantia (found it was about the same as mum's Xsara which is best described as lethargic).
He had it from new, ride was very uncomfortable, I used to say it had girders rather than suspension. Rear seats are uncomfortable for anyone over 5' as even on it's highest setting the headrests still dig into the shoulder blades.
Eventually he had his written off by someone when he was waiting at a zebra crossing.
He replaced it with a 1.6Hdi Exclusive XPic and it actually does have suspension, and the engine has more go, but it doesn't feel stable enough to chuck around like a Xantia. Rear seats are still horrible.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

We love ours despite

kin Rust 1.6HDI exclusive

it's frugal, useful and does, within reason handle, the esp helps there you just need to be brave
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
CAMMILLELEAH
New User

Post by CAMMILLELEAH »

is your beloved xantia available to donate transplants. I am desperate for a hydraulic pipe that runs from the sphere above the back axle to the left hand rearsuspension.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

CAMMILLELEAH wrote:is your beloved xantia available to donate transplants. I am desperate for a hydraulic pipe that runs from the sphere above the back axle to the left hand rearsuspension.
To be honest, you're better off getting a new one if they're still available or getting Pleiades to make you up one... A second-hand pipe is likely to be past its first flush of youth and they can be hard to recover in a satisfactory way...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...