Massive oil/fluid leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evoke

Massive oil/fluid leak

Post by evoke »

Took my car in for a wheel alignment and they put it up on the ramp and loads of oil/fluid were dripping out from the centre of the engine. The fluid was a clear/slightly yellowish in colour.

I'm waiting for the car to be recovered to a garage at the moment but was wondering what the leak could be? It has recently had new engine oil, gearbox oil and brake fluid. I've checked the coolant level and it is fine. The brake fluid resevoir looks okay too. The oil level on the dipstick is fine too.

I guess that leaves the gearbox oil or power steering oil. Any ideas?

If it's the gearbox oil then the work will be done free as the garage it's going to did the clutch/DMF/gearbox oil recently. If it's power steering then i'm going to have to pay.

I did notice a very slight 'bump' on turning the steering wheel recently. Could that be connected to the issue?
2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Massive oil/fluid leak

Post by myglaren »

Power steering uses LDS and it should be orange in colour.
You may be able to differentiate between the suspects by smell.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

You say that the engine oil level on the dipstick is fine, however I would not rule out the possibility of engine oil as of all the oils in the car that's the one most likely to be a clear/yellowish colour, especially if its brand new oil.

It doesn't take much leakage to make a big mess, 100mL of lost oil would hardly be noticeable on the dipstick especially if it was filled to the top mark originally, but would certainly make a big mess on the bottom of the engine or the ground...

If it was an automatic LT71411 ATF is also a semi-transparent light yellow colour (when new!) but I'm assuming from the mention of clutch/DMF that it's a manual. :wink: Manual gearboxes normally use very thick oils so if its runny like ATF or engine oil its unlikely to be gearbox oil.

LDS for the power steering and suspension would be orange as Steve points out. Coolant is unlikely to be yellow it will be either green, blue or most likely orange, besides you can easily tell the difference between coolant and oil by rubbing some between your fingers. Coolant will feel like water, and oil like oil! :) Coolant will also evaporate leaving little permanent evidence.

I'm not sure what colour the brake fluid would be, 2005 was the last time I owned a car that used conventional brake fluid instead of green LHM, I don't even remember what colour DOT4 brake fluid is, if indeed it even has a standard colour.... :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
evoke

Post by evoke »

Okay, a quick update. Just had the car recovered to a garage. As I drove it onto the low loader the steering was grinding quite a bit so I suspect the car has dumped its steering fluid. I'm hoping it's something not too expensive to repair. The breakdown guy thought it might be the steering rack. I should know early next week.
evoke

Post by evoke »

A quick update: it looks like the high pressure hose has leaked/perished. The part itself is only about £85 but, apparently, it's 5 hours of labour to replace it! My wallet is crying already.
evoke

Post by evoke »

£650 lighter after having one power steering pipe replaced. Gulp!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

evoke wrote:£650 lighter after having one power steering pipe replaced. Gulp!
:o :o :o

Why is it so labour intensive ? , does the subframe / rack have to come out for access or something ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
evoke

Post by evoke »

Subframe needed to be dropped, apparently.