Don't all groan at once!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chizzy
My Cars:

Don't all groan at once!

Post by chizzy »

Central locking probs on a 95 ZX Avantage. I've looked through previous postings on this topic for over an hour now and don't see anything that matches.
Press the plip to open the central locking and the indicators (dash lamps too)will flash 5 times to denote disarm/open. Unfortunately non of the doors or tailgate will unlock. Repeated pressing on the plip will cause the correct response from the indicators and the interior alarm warning light but no auto unlock.
The drivers door only will then open with the key but this does not activate the rest of the central locking. Currently this problem is intermittent with no apparent link to weather, temperature or any other factor I can identify. Plip receiver is near sunroof control. I'm at a loss as to where to start looking but I'd like to nip this in the bud before it degenerates to permanent.
Do I start with the control unit? ( I've seen posts re. water leaks from aerial) Dodgy connections in loom through doors? Before I go ripping things apart has anyone got any ideas on a start point or experienced anything similar?
Cheers
Steve
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I think its the central locking controler at fault, the infrared reciever is working, the alarm activation gives that away, all the doors should unlock from the drivers lock, so thats two possible routes to operate to the controler and neither of them work.
Remove the controler circuit board from its box, you will see two relays on the board, one fires the lock pulse and the other the open pulse, close the contacts momentarily on one relay and then the other, do not close them both at the same time, if the locking operates ok doing this then I would think a fresh controler would sort it.
Early models it is beside the handbrake lever in the console, later model its behind the dash on righthand side, screwed to the facia below the right most air vent duct.
Dave
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Many Thanks Dave I'll have a look in the next few days and report further[:)]
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Central locking controller was screwed to the dash by the fuse box opening. The 2 small relays are sealed to the pcb by a resin coating, with no apparent way of accessing the contacts within without risking damage. Without a wiring diagram I don't want to mess about with this.
I tend to agree with your diagnosis Dave but I am loathe to purchase a new controller while the problem is intermittent (albeit increasingly so) unless the controller is definitely faulty.
I don't suppose there's anyone in the St Albans area who wants to loan/sell me a working unit to find out once and for all?