C5 Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrisbrooks
My Cars:

C5 Suspension

Post by chrisbrooks »

Hi everyone. I am very new here and am hoping for some clarity on an issue with the failure of the suspension on my 2004 VTR C5 2 ltr. diesel estate. After reading up on some posts regarding suspension problems I have checked fuses both under the bonnet and in the glove box, (none blown), the maxi fuse mentioned is a complete mystery to me as I can't find it,could someone post a picture as i can't find one in Haynes, also mentioned was a multi-plug vibrating loose, again, where is it?
The problem surfaced when I was transporting a 90 year old lady to a hospital appointment and was quite upsetting, also getting my self and the car home on a suitable recovery vehicle was not very easy.
I would love to have my baby running again without needing to sell a kidney or my wife, what are the chances?
Thank you all in advance.

Chris Brooks [-o<
Jabo
My Cars:

Re: C5 Suspension

Post by Jabo »

In what way has the suspension failed Chris?
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chrisbrooks
My Cars:

Post by chrisbrooks »

While driving the suspension dropped to the lowest level and refuses to pump up, there is nothing happening when the height switch is operated except the display works.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can you hear the pump motor running?
There have been a few reports of the motor wiring burning out due to corrosion. Some repairable, some not.

The Maxifuses hide under the engine bay fuse box.
chrisbrooks
My Cars:

Post by chrisbrooks »

Hi myglaren, no, the pump is silent there are no clicks or whirrs at all. I can't smell or see evidence of any burning anywhere.
Thanks for pointing out where the elusive maxi-fuse is, I will remove the fuse box and check it, also take the headlight out and see if there is any power to the pump.

Thanks for your input
chrisbrooks
My Cars:

Post by chrisbrooks »

Update : no maxi fuse failure, power is present at the pump, some evidence of corrosion on the pump, but still dead as a dodo,
does any one know of a reliable breaker to source a replacement please?
Are there any hazards to removal/refitting of a pump?

Regards to all,

Chris.
chrisbrooks
My Cars:

Post by chrisbrooks »

Hi again Myglaren

Further developments have happened, while testing for power to the pump we inadvertently earthed the pump body to the headlight frame and hey presto the pump started to run, on starting the engine and operating the level switch it raises and lowers properly from the switch but doesn't switch off (pump) even when the ignition key is removed. this also makes the pump body continually live. Could this be a sticky relay?
and if so where the devil is it? Haynes says it should be in the glove box but none there.

I feel that the answer is staring me in the face and is electrical but i'm stumped.

Best regards, Chris.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you check your email, I have shared a C5 handbook with you that you can download.

On page 130 it says that F23 in fusebox B is for various ECUs including suspension. Page 128 has the location of fusebox B.
Also F3 in the underbonnet fusebox.

I would be wary of pulling this fuse as it may corrupt the ECUs, unless you do the battery disconnect sequence as outlined here. I would be very surprised if it is blown as there would be other problems associated with the other ECUs not being active.

There is another fairly recent thread that covers the investigation and replacement of a burned out motor that may help your diagnosis.

There should be three wires for the pump which I presume to be +ve; -ve and control ( a fine yellow wire). Possibly the earth or control wires are damaged.
I can't see any reference to relays unfortunately.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Sounds like a faulty pump to me, the pump body shouldn't be live and unless you've changed some wires about then it's likely to be shorted inside.
As has been said there can be corrosion inside the pump motor and I've seen them full of black sludge through water ingress mixing with burned carbon from the brushes.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.