206 1.9 diesel 01 plate 133.000 mls keeps cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reservex
My Cars:

206 1.9 diesel 01 plate 133.000 mls keeps cutting out

Post by reservex »

I am having a real problem with this car, just recently it has started cutting out whilst driving, pulled to side of road tried to start it and no problem drive off ok for a couple of miles then it does it again. Changed air and fuel filters had new glow plugs fitted, had guy out with diagnostic kit found nothing. The car has been recovered twice and is unreliable anyone got any ideas please
1999 Xantia Estate 1.9TD
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 206 1.9 diesel 01 plate 133.000 mls keeps cutting out

Post by spider »

Does it sound OK before it cuts out ie not running roughly ?

If its not air in the fuel system then it may be the EGR valve jamming open, on the DW8 unit it can coke up quite a bit.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
reservex
My Cars:

Post by reservex »

The engine just cuts out no change in engine sound for a few seconds the restarts but the judders along a bit then runs on for a couple of miles till it does it again , when I had to have it recovered it started to cut out under load. When I got it home I could drive it off the recovery truck and park it on the drive no problem. Could it also be any of the following, fuel cut off solenoid, a relay, or does this model have an electric sender in the tank that could be faulty I am convinced it is electrical like stopping and starting on a switch. it started a couple of weeks ago when it would not start one morning and when the recovery guy came he pulled off the fuel feed into the filter housing, no fuel being pumped, delivered to garage they said it started the following morning when they were to work on it and detected 2 dead glow plugs, changed all 4 fuel filter air filter

Thanks Andy
1999 Xantia Estate 1.9TD
spider

Post by spider »

There is no in tank lift pump with the 1.9DW8 like its predecessors the XUD range, the fuel delivery pump itself acts as the lift pump.

It could be the stop solenoid although that seems unlikely. Other causes could be clogged fuel pickup (as you said there was no fuel) in the tank, under the back seats the fuel sender and pickup assembly, not unknown to clog up with stuff. That can sometimes settle after sitting for hours as when its running its sucking fuel (and whatever else) but after its stood it can come off the pipework.

I'd have the pickup pipe examined if there is no fuel present, otherwise I'd of said sticking EGR
Andy.

reservex
My Cars:

Post by reservex »

Thanks Andy, will give both a look at
1999 Xantia Estate 1.9TD
spider

Post by spider »

I think fuel pickup initially.

If it still does it, unplug the vac hose from the EGR valve on the air intake and plug it (the loose end on the pipe) with something suitable that will not be sucked into the vacuum pipe. If the valve is shut that will keep it shut. Leave the electrical connector intact.
Andy.