Non-French - Mk X Jaguar Dissembly

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Non-French - Mk X Jaguar Dissembly

Post by addo »

Can anyone offer pointers, please? I have to gut the driveline and rear end of one ASAP. It's terminally rotted, the woodwork is shot and interior in tattered vinyl.

I don't have an oxy or hoist at my disposal for the job. :cry:

Is the IRS really so simple to drop as it sounds? Is the motor/box so insanely heavy I need a crane truck to lift it? Is it likely to have a blocked exhaust?

Thanks, Adam.

handyman

Re: Non-French - Mk X Jaguar Dissembly

Post by handyman »

I used to have a MkVII, whole different ball game! :shock:
Dont remember any woodwork on the Mk10 though. 8-[

If the IRS is like the later XJ, is can be unbolted and virtually wheeled away as there is a subframe to hold diff assembly, with either four or six bolts and the two trailing arms from the underbody. I'm sure thats right but it has been a long time since I stripped one out. [-o< 8-[ 'Kin heavy tho'!

Think you need to cut out or remove the exhaust pipes as they fit over and through the subframe. Guaranteed the back box internals will have rotted.

H

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

I should have clarified - by woodwork I meant the cosmetic interior frippery. Good advice on the exhausts, thanks.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

I hate scope creep. Went to eyeball the job and it was like "Oh, you have to get it running first". ^&^#@$$@! Done, so onwards we go.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:I hate scope creep.
I like that term Adam!

citronut

Post by citronut »

wow that was quick work Adam :shock: :twisted: :-D :wink:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

handyman

Post by handyman »

Coo, dont ever remember them being that clean, even when fresh out of the factory. 8-[ Bit of an old bus to drive and the doors were about a foot thick, old type side protection! #-o

H

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Scope creep is the construction industry's term for the good old "While you're here..." situations.

TooMany2cvs

Re:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

That is one of the engines on my "One day, I will own something with..." list, alongside a v8 of some flavour - yank or Rover, unfussed.

citronut

Post by citronut »

you would have to sit straddling the gear box if you plonk one of them in a dersh Adrian :twisted: :shock: :-D :wink:

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Nah; he'll build a motorbike out of a 2CV like that French bloke years ago in Morocco. Then power it with the Jag driveline.

TooMany2cvs

Re:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

addo wrote:Nah; he'll build a motorbike out of a 2CV like that French bloke years ago in Morocco. Then power it with the Jag driveline.
<thinks> That's not a bad plan. Except... I've got a VeloSolex with the engine in bits... Hmmm.