c8 airbag fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davegtr

c8 airbag fault

Post by davegtr »

Hello

i wondered if anyone can help me fix a problem on my car, my car is a Citroen C8 2003 2.0 hdi executive. 6 seat multi airbags.

i got the car off a friend knowing the airbag light was on and knowing abit about cars i thought it would just be the usual connectors under the seats for the pretensioners, i have a few diagnostic pieces at my disposal including lexia 3 with latest updates etc so i thought i was quite well prepared for anything, the passenger airbag switch light was on so had switch tested by friend who tested it and found it wasnt working properly so got a new one and thought that would solve issue, it didnt :(

secondly made sure connectors and fuses were all ok, then reset bsi in the proper way and then connected lexia, there started the problems, firstly i got no communication with the airbag ecu, so managed to get a second hand airbag ecu and when i plugged in and lexia recognised it i thought i was halfway home, now all it says is i have an open circuit to all airbags, tried to erase codes which at first it did and then 15 seconds later the light reappeared, i though it was just the bsi or the comm 2000 needing resetting so performed reset but still the same fault codes, looked to make sure they were all configured properly in lexia and all looks well, although it says 2nd row pretensioners and im not sure if second row of seats actually have them i didnt want to mess with settings, i have checked the connectors that i can get too without taking car totally to pieces so i thought i would ask for advice before stripping all headlining etc etc off to get at rest of connectors, im not the best with electrics and unsure which avenue to start with, like i have said i have checked all the basics and wondered if i need to program it into bsi or anything? obviously i am aware of dangers of messing about with anything to do with airbags and thats why i thought i would ask advice incase i have missed something obvious before moving on to checking drivers airbag connection etc.

any help and advice would be grateful, thanks in advance. d
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Re: c8 airbag fault

Post by miked »

Welcome davegtr.

I've got an almost equivalent Pug 807 2.0 exclusive outside, and a lexia/planet and, thanks to '807 ownership I'm actually getting fairly good at using it. I have never had to deal with the airbag ecu but If you want I can plug it in and tell you what it looks like on a 'working' car. I'm no expert but I do know the comm2000 doesn't have anything to do with airbags, it just looks at the wiper/indicator/radio/CC stalks.

As for 2nd row pretensioners, I could believe that in our car, the outside 2 seats might have them but they obviously cant be at the 'buckle' end of the belt.
I noticed though you said it was a 6 seat, and so if you mean the pullman version then I don't know. Are the seats removable?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If the wiring is the same as the C5 range then the Comm 2000 may be at fault, the airbag wiring at the steering wheel passes through it via the clock spring and breaks there are not uncommon.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
davegtr

Post by davegtr »

thanks for the replys,

yes the rear seats are all removable and i believe you are probably right that they cannot be connected at the buckle, i was having trouble finding out if the airbags actually run through the Comm 2000 and the only reason i mentioned the Comm 2000 was that a fault came up that wasn't there before when connected the new airbag ecu, Comm 2000 fault not recognized as an after sales fault, or says something to that effect, the fault was not there before and couldn't find a definitive answer in a search so that's why i used Comm 2000 reset, everything works fine and no bugs in electrics like a usual Comm 2000 failure.

hello gibbo and thanks for your reply,

would that create an open circuit to all airbags and are we talking behind steering wheel? or on steering rack near the Comm 2000? the wires pass through.

thanks for the replys and every bit of advice is appreciated as car is driving me mad with this fault :)
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Sorry, busy day here. Gibbo is right, and I'm stupid for not pointing out that the steering wheel airbag wires must pass through the Comm2000.
It's late and it's probably just me, but which airbag light was on when you got the car? Is it a 6 seat (pullman) C8? Did you have any trouble with the Comm2000 before you replaced the airbag ECU?
I don't even know where the airbag ECU is on our 807, but as I said, I could see what the lexia makes of it this weekend.

By the way, where are you?
davegtr

Post by davegtr »

this is the problem that its all airbags have a fault, open circuit to all airbags and it is a six seater with all single seats in rear, and i have had no issue with any of the usual Comm 2000 complaints, everything else works on the car works fine and no Glitches before or after installing new airbag ecu, and the only fault on there about the Comm 2000 is a fault is there but says it cannot be erased and there is no fault code to say what the fault is, the fault simply says that this isn't an after sales fault or words to that effect, the airbag ecu is in the floor between the 2 front seats housed under a metal box lid, i appreciate you saying you would have a look at your ecu but i wouldn't advise too as its a pain to get to without breaking the foam under flooring, and i live in Hertfordshire just north of london.

thanks for the reply