Xantia engine pulley change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Xantia engine pulley change

Post by charentejohn »

Just about to do this (raining today) and have a quick question, I assume the bolt is right hand thread ?
Just checking before using an air impact wrench. Should be right hand thread as the pulley has a woodruff key so shouldn't turn anyway, still you never know, wouldn't be the first time I have tried to remove a bolt the wrong way, usually resulting in snapping them.

Fitting one of the new pulleys from Corteco which have a solid looking rubber face, without the slots.
I wasn't sure it was right and rang them, they told me these are better / safer as they are concentric rubber rings rather than rubber discs. We shall see.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia engine pulley change

Post by RichardW »

Yes, RH thread. Put it in 4th gear and apply the handbrake hard, should be enough to hold it if you are using an impact gun. 22mm socket required....
Richard W
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, will do that. Always best to check, following the 6P rule, Proper Planning Prevents P Poor Performance. :-D
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Just another question on this, I had to give up as I couldn't release the lower adjuster so didn't want to fit a new belt and not be able to adjust it.

This is the lower adjuster not the spring loaded top one (Xantia HDI 90).
Question is how hard should I have to turn to release it and will an air powered impact driver help ?

The adjuster uses a hex key, not a square one as most seem to be, so my plan was to use a hex bar I have that fits it then use ai impact driver on that.
I have only used an impact driver (air powered) a couple of times, would this be a better way to remove the adjuster as it should 'ease it out' rather than seeing the twisting of the allen key as at present.
Breaking this would be a real pain.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Are you talking the Aux Belt, eccentric pully?? They are an 8mm ALLEN head bolt...

The upper spring loaded tensioner uses a LEFT handed thread on the bolt. Remove the ECU box (two 10mm bolts are removing the ECU out the box) you can get at it easyer.. Use a 15mm YES 15mm spanner on the bolt head to left the tension and release the belt...

The eccentric again is RH thread. ONLY the upper spring tenionser is a LH thread for obvious reasons..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Sorry for posting this then wandering off, but back now.
Yes it is the eccentric pulley, at the bottom of the engine. Good to know which way to turn it :)
I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to putting massive pressure on bolts etc, I have sheared too many with dire / expensive consequences.

I was hoping using an air impact wrench would loosen it with a lower risk of shearing.
I really want to do stuff myself, but if there is a risk of shearing the bolt I would rather it was in a garage where they could fix it. Replacing the crank pulley ant timing belt should be a simple procedure, just this tensioner pulley that is worrying me.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

If my rattle guns dont crack it then I am giving the starter motor trick a go.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.