Tensioning a New Timing Belt on a 1.4 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nobeard
My Cars:

Tensioning a New Timing Belt on a 1.4 HDi

Post by nobeard »

Hi people, i've just fitted a new timing belt kit & water pump to a 1.4 HDi (engine in vehicle), putting the belt on was really difficult it took ages to get it fully onto the tensioner pulley so i'm reluctant to follow the instructions Haynes gives regarding setting the tension, that if the tensioner indicator is not centred after turning engine 20x you must remove, refit & re-tension the belt. Could i not just reset the tension with the belt in place?
Oh, and should i be worried about overtightening the water pump bolts as i guess i will have done because torque setting was far too low for my wrench?
Thank's
Time Flies Like an Arrow,, Fruit Flies Like a Banana (Groucho)
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Tensioning a New Timing Belt on a 1.4 HDi

Post by Lighty »

You will not need to remove the belt if the tension is wrong, no idea why they would write that.
Just alter the tension and turn it a few more times and recheck the pointer.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
nobeard
My Cars:

Post by nobeard »

Thank's, that's what i had thought but both Haynes and the Gates instruction leaflet say to remove then refit again so that's why i asked here (although according to Gates the belt can't be replaced with engine in vehicle which is odd because it clearly can?). Sod it, i'll leave it on cheers.
Time Flies Like an Arrow,, Fruit Flies Like a Banana (Groucho)
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Be careful here, the reason why you must remove the belt is, if the tensioner pointer has moved the slack in the belt will be in the wrong position hence taking it off starting with crank, pump, cam or whichever way they say to route it. You must adhere to there instructions, if the slack is not taken up in the right position, the belt could easily jump a tooth and smash valves!
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)