Cheap Supermark Disel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ej2095
My Cars:

Cheap Supermark Disel

Post by ej2095 »

Got to ask

Any of you noticed but ASDAs fuel seem to go down hell of a lot faster (runs out) then say fuel from tesco etc?
C5 2.2 HDI Estate mk1 (With a anti theft fury dice device)
oneday
My Cars:

Re: Cheap Supermark Disel

Post by oneday »

wouldni know i only use shell price is about the same
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
ej2095
My Cars:

Post by ej2095 »

Sadly shell garage round here out my way.
C5 2.2 HDI Estate mk1 (With a anti theft fury dice device)
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

That does seem to be the case, I've seen it something like 5-10p/l cheaper in an Asda than anywhere else.

Eyebrows are raised as to the quality of the fuel and indeed the accuracy of the pumps. I recall once a friend of mine filling up with about 10l more than the capacity of the tank in his car from an Asda pump - either there's a localised breach of the rules of physics in the vicinity of his fuel tank, or the pump over-reads somewhat...
I personally haven't had this trouble though.

Supermarket fuel seems to be more competitive than filling station fuel, especially since they often have "spend x and we'll give you 10p a litre off" offers running. Methinks they can afford to cut their margins on fuel more just to get people to come and spend in their shop.

I personally miss buying oil from some bloke who has strained the chips out for me for 50p a litre. But that's beside the point :twisted:
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Post by Welshy_Pete »

ej2095 wrote:Got to ask

Any of you noticed but ASDAs fuel seem to go down hell of a lot faster (runs out) then say fuel from tesco etc?
All supermarket petrol and diesel dont do the mpg and run crap.

I only use shell, bp, texaco and esso etc. I see more mpg, Faster acceleration. Also meaning less wear and tear on the engine as well.

I wont buy cheaper fuel for afew pence less it works out you loose more in the rest meaning costing more.
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

Only V Power in the DS3 and 18 year old Xantia!!
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I think this is all fantasy. I did a couple of thousand miles last month, and just filled up where it was cheapest or most convenient. The Berlingo returns 46mpg whatever I put in it. Sometimes I fill up at the BP garage, sometimes Asda, sometimes Sainsbury by my office. Makes not a bit of difference to it.
bobo-ds3

Post by bobo-ds3 »

Vpower is an awful lot more expensive then the other fuels but it does work a lot better

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have used supermarket fuel ever since they have been selling it and have had no problems and good fuel consumption.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I hardly ever use supermarket petrol because usually the forecourts are stacked 4 or 5 deep with people trying to save a couple of p after trying to do the same in the attached supermarket.... I can't be doing with such pointless time-wasting antics so go to our local BP at times when it's quiet. In, fill up, pay and out again with zero aggro or hassle.

Therefore these days I can't comment but I do know the Activa loves a bit of BP's super carlos fandango stuff. The V6s don't seem to care so much...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I hate queuing too and (depending on my health) sometimes cannot wait too long in a queue so I tend to think about fuel at 1/3 or 1/4 this way if there's a queue I'll simply move on elsewhere or another day and get some. I sort of agree saving 1p/litre compared to being stuck for half an hour, for me that's a price worth paying.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't argue over a penny or two but when they have 5p or even more off that's where I will go. Our local Tesco isn't usually that busy - I say local its our nearest supermarket and its in Axminster 7 miles away, I don't make a special journey though, that definitely isn't cost effective.

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Peter.N. wrote:I wouldn't argue over a penny or two but when they have 5p or even more off that's where I will go. Our local Tesco isn't usually that busy - I say local its our nearest supermarket and its in Axminster 7 miles away, I don't make a special journey though, that definitely isn't cost effective.
Even if there is a 5p per litre difference it really makes no odds to me. Our local Asda is 8 miles away, so probably between 2 and 3 litres used on a round trip. Even if I fill up from empty, the most I am going to save is £3.00 at 5p difference.. It'd cost me more in diesel to drive there, then have to wait in the inevitable queue..... or even worse, have to shop there..

I use the local BP ,because it's there, or the Sainsbury by my office, again, because it's there.

I firmly believe all the stories about supermarket diesel being bad or to not contain the right detergents to be guff put about by petrol station franchisees to try and generate custom. We forget that all fuels have to confirm to a standard. .
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

For ages in my Primera 2.2dci I filled up at Shell, as I had a 3% rebate card, so made it worth while for the ~4 mile round trip. After citibank stopped doing that (can't remember when but was years ago) and asda (~1.5mile roundtrip) built an automatic 24h petrol station, I started going there.

I used to use the onboard computer to log the average mpg each fill up (think it stored the previous 4-5), I can say I didn't notice anything different at all in mpg.

The people who had the car off me did have an issue with it going into limp mode, which was originally put down by the garage to being caused by "supermarket fuel", which clogged a filter or so, was later debunked when it happened to them twice more, and was realised it was due to them driving it over the fields! They eventually traded it in, although the guy loved the car his SWMBO'd wanted a 4x4.. so c'est la vie... the current owners of the car love it and as far as I'm aware have had no issues with it.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My wife's uncle use to work on the Shell ocean tankers, he said the all the fuel came from the same place.

I wouldn't go far out of my way to buy cheap fuel for the reasons stated but as both my cars will do 800-1000 miles on a tankful I don't need to.

Peter