Can any one help? ( Citroen ZX won't start )

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brightfish

Can any one help? ( Citroen ZX won't start )

Post by brightfish »

Hi, I have a problem, my mother in-law has a K reg 1.4i citroen zx which will not start. It started to miss fire leading up to this. When the car is turned on there is a buzzing sound coming from the ECU or so I thought! It was actually coming from the relay which sits in the same compartment as the ECU. )It's a brown box about 1"x 2.5")We have replaced this with a new one, as I thought this must be the problem but the new one buzz's too! and the car still won't start.
Can any one shed any light on the problem....do you think it is the ECU unit after all? Any ideas/help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Joe [:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Joe -
Given that the starter motor actually cranks the engine happily - then I suspect the problem is that you do not get ignition.
Try unplugging one of the HT leads from the plugs - then insert a screwdriver to have an earth gap approx 10mm. Have an assistent cranking the engine observing a good sturdy spark.
If no sparking is evident - then suspect the TDC flywheel ignition sensor and/or cabling/plug. Located somewhere at the perimeter of the flywheel/clutch bellhousing pointing directly against the flywheel. The sensor itself can be roughly tested by an ohm meter which should read in the vicinity of 100 ohms.
brightfish

Post by brightfish »

Hello again, no the starter is not kicking in - the only thing happening is the buzzing from the relay unit. This happens when you turn the ignition on and before you turn the key to start the car. I have put the headlights on and then turned the key as if to start the car and they do not dip which tells me (I think! ) that power is not getting through to the starter. [?][?][?]
Thanks for taking the time to answer [;)]
Joe
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

The headlamps not dimming is not necessarily a sign that the starter is not getting power. It may be turning, but not engaging the engine. Can you hear it turning at all?
I've heard a trick with a hammer in the past to encourage starters to engage, but I don't know it personally!
brightfish

Post by brightfish »

The starter is definitely <u>not</u> turning.[:(]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

are you getting a 12volt feed at the small wire on the starter motor when the key is in the crank position ? are you getting 12volts all the time at the thick wire on the battery ? check that there is a good clean earth on the gearbox earth strap.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Ah yes - hammering starters. What can happen particularily with an old starter is that the brushes stick in their holders and fail to make proper contact with the commutator - and - guess what - the motor doesn't work. Sometimes a sharp blow with a hammer or similar object jarrs the brushes and contact is restored.
Worth a go - and if the motor springs to life don't think that all is cured - but that you have found where the problem is and that the motor will need attention or replacement.
jeremy
brightfish

Post by brightfish »

Hi Guys, I've found and fixed the problem thanks to your help. It was a loose earth strap. The car recently had a new clutch fitted and when the mechanic fitted the earth strap back on he used a normal nut, not a locking nut. Over the past two weeks or so it had vibrated loose hence the problem. Any way just thought I'd let you know the outcome.
Thanks again for the help, ideas and advice, very much appreciated.
Joe [:D]