Problem Spheres, new but don't fit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Problem Spheres, new but don't fit

Post by charentejohn »

Just thought I would start a new thread for this as the discussion was mainly here and unrelated to it really http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 6&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Lizarte brand I bought were just awful as regards the state of the threads, see photos in link above.
I tried taking off the top of the threads and de-burring but they still won't fit all the way. They would with a spanner but not, as is necessary, by hand, no way.
Pleides seem to have problems also as they said they are not good and they have a tool to re-cut the threads, sadly I can't find one.

They went in about 1 turn to start with, now they go in 2+ turns but then jam no matter what I do to the rear threads to ease them so I have given up.
Just orderd Monroe replacements and hope they will be better, can't be worse. Better to just buy new spheres and get the car back on the road rather than messing about any more.

Finally had a reply from the company I bought them from (oscaro.fr) so figured I may as well buy the replacements from them so when I return the duff ones they can see I actually needed spheres.
Hopefully they will refund the price but even if I have to write it off better that then no car and / or damaged rams.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
charentejohn
My Cars:

Re: Problem Spheres, new but don't fit

Post by charentejohn »

Update on this, recieved the Monroe brand replacements and guess what. All fitted in 30 mins and car back on the road, almost.

The ram I had trouble fitting the Lizarte spheres to wis still a little 'stiff' and required the removal tool to get past the 3/4 mark. I think this is due to slight thread damage from the dodgy spheres.
The other two, left and centre spheres fitted fine, all done up by hand.

I was a bit worried as the Monroe spheres had sharp threads like the Lizarte ones bit obviously they were the correct 'height' or similar as they fitted.
Maybe a one off bad batch but bear it in mind.

Since Lizarte did not reply to my mail about this it is goodbye forever, they could have at least acknowledged it. :(
Like they say, for every £1 it costs in advertising to get someone to buy something, if it fails or has problems and they aren't resolved, it costs £10 in advertising to get them to buy another. It will cost mre than that as I don't want to go through this again and have the car off the road for nearly 2 weeks while arguing about quality control. Only done now as I decided to buy another brand, fix the car, and argue about refunds etc later. The fight with the supplier continues...............
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Problem Spheres, new but don't fit

Post by CitroJim »

Shame on Lizarte John :evil: I quite agree that for just a little attention they have done their reputation no good at all. Do they realise their 'fame' has spread far and wide in the UK?

I'm pleased this saga has had a happy ending :-D Now go and do your fronts!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...