2.1 Xantia No Start HELP !!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroen al
My Cars:

2.1 Xantia No Start HELP !!!!!

Post by citroen al »

Hi I have inherited a problem Xantia 2.1TD 12v
Has had the timing belt fitted incorrectly and broke 4 rockers !!!
new belt fitted correctly No Start !!!!
Reconditioned Diesel Pump No Start !!!!
My 7 year Ex-main dealer mechanic is baffeled !
Can any one point us in the right direction
i can supply other details if required (yes we have used the keycode)
Regards
Alan
Jaxs
My Cars:

Post by Jaxs »

There are a ream of questions to be asked.
After belt change, Compression test for bent valves?
If rockers broken, valves have hit pistons, not good, usual sequence of events, fit belt check if engine runs, if not removed head, etc.....
Reason for original belt change? or did it break?
Back to compression test.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sound points Jaxs.
So it was OK BEFORE the incorrectly fitted belt? [?]
It rather sounds like its bent a number of valves to me.[V]
citroen al
My Cars:

Post by citroen al »

Belt 1 was fitted by AA recomended garage in cornwall
The car came my way having never started my mechanic fount that the rockers were bent but no valves
and surjested the diesel pump was the problem !
with a new diesel pump in situe it still dosnt start !!
NOTE* there is diesel going to the pump but only trickles out of the pump !!!
both before and after the pump was reconditioned.....
I belive that the pump is the later Electronically controlled lucas Model (98) car
Its driving us mad...
Regards
Alan
citroen al
My Cars:

Post by citroen al »

forgot it was driving ok originally and just stopped whilst driving the garage in cornwall changed the belt (got it wrong)
never worked since!!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Al,
Sorry man, only one phrase of advice here.
OFF WITH ITS HEAD!!
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Al,
If you had 4 broken rockers. You surely must take off the head and inspect the valves and pistons.
So...... OFF WITH ITS HEAD !!
Its not clear whether you have already had the head off. Have you ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree that its likely that there is valve damage but I hate taking things apart just to find out what's wrong - I much prefer knowing the answer before I start.
Presumably your 4 rockers were on different cylinders? (I know very little about 2.1's except they have 3 valves per cylinder and 2 valves may be directly driven with a rocker for the third - in which case I have answered my own question.)
I would suggest a compression test but of course this is difficult on diesels. On a recent posting the practice of electric compression testing is discussed. As a first step I would listen carefully to the engine when it is cranked over and see if it sounds normal or sloppy and loose suggesting no compression. Diesels can be confusing due to the engine bouncing on the compression so a better indication may be gained if 3 cylinders are de-compressed by removing the glowplugs, then listening to the 4th. This procedure isn't quite as tedious as it may at first seems as some of the dismantling will need to be done if the head is to be removed, and if one cylinder is down on compression the head will have to be removed anyway.
Jeremy<font color="black"></font id="black"><font color="black"></font id="black"><font color="black"></font id="black">
citroen al
My Cars:

Post by citroen al »

sorry for my ignorance !!!
im into the hydraulic side of things !!!
like i say there is no fuel going through the electrically timed pump !!! at all
maybee im missing something but surely the fuel would come through the pump regardless ???
Regards
Alan
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes thats right but remeber the amount injected is minute.
Jeremy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

How does the imobiliser work on this pump, I believe its a Lucas EPIC type pump, does it have a standard type stop solenoid somewhere, if it does I would imagine it must have onboard electronics to switch it just as the Bosch and Lucas mechanical pumps do.
A ready test for bent valves is simply to turn the engine by hand using a long drive on the crank pulley bolt, if you get four consecutive compo strokes in two complete revolutions then the valves would seem to be intact.
All though only a small amount of fuel is injected, the amount delivered by the pump is higher, the majority of it being returned to the tank via the leakoff pipes.
Maybe the problem is and allways was ECU orientated, especialy if it also controls the imobiliser circuit, you need to find out if this is itegral with ECU electronics or if it's seperately mounted on the pump.
Dave