Word of warning - Oil filler hole!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Word of warning - Oil filler hole!!!!!!

Post by Taffyrhys »

Its a lovely sunny day so I thought I give the Xantia HDI a oil change. All was going well, just filled the engine with fresh oil and was putting the engine cover back in place when one of the spring clips that holds the cover in place flipped off into the air and straight down the oil filler hole. :cry: :cry:

As you can imagine a million to 1 chance of it going down the hole and into the rocker cover. I couldn't even see it, so had to bite the bullit and remove the rocker cover, which is a job and a half. Luckily once the rocker cover was removed i could see the clip and with a couple of screw drivers and my head torch managed to ease it out, a lucky escape =D> =D> =D>

Its all back together and I only managed to break part of the cam cover, so the moral of the story make sure you put the oil filler cap back in place before anything falls down the hole, this is the first time its happened to me with over twenty years of working on cars. (would of been easier on a Ford Cortina)

Have a great weekend.

Ade
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Word of warning - Oil filler hole!!!!!!

Post by evilally »

Could have been a real nightmare! I wonder if one of those telescopic magnet picker-upper-thingies would have retrieved it? Mine has certainly saved my bacon a few times when nuts and bolts have gone astray.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Word of warning - Oil filler hole!!!!!!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Unlikely, as the body of the clip is plastic (and black, which makes it harder to see in dark places), and the spring part is not very large.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!