406 Front pads

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CANDO

406 Front pads

Post by CANDO »

I am going to fit new front brake pads to my 406. I want to get everything ready before I jack it up.
The haynes manual says to hold the lower guide pin bolt with a slim open ended spanner.
Can anyone please tell me the size of spanner required? and how slim is slim?
Also how important is the thread -locking compound?
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

I have recently done this and can't for the life of me remember the size, something like a 15mm. You should get a full range of combination spanners (8mm - 19mm)before attempting any job on a french car as they use all sorts of different sizes.
My spanners were slightly too fat, but a bit of forcing solved the problem. You could always buy a sacrificial spanner and file the jaws to make it slimmer, once you know the size.
I never use thread locking compound if I intend to keep the car for long enough to be changing the pads again.
It is a pretty straightforward job as I had to do it 3 times because when I put new pads on, the calipers fouled my (non-standard) alloys, so I had to put the old pads back, sort the alloys out and replace the pads again. I can do it in my sleep now!
CANDO

Post by CANDO »

Thanks for your input Macaroni.
It’s just that the parking is so bad around here that I like to make sure that I have everything I need before I start so that I can hopefully complete the job without having to move the car again.
I had the same problem with another vehicle which had a similar type of calliper.
Malcolm
robj1969
My Cars:

Post by robj1969 »

its a 17 mm open ender.
Rob J
CANDO

Post by CANDO »

Thanks for that rob.
That should make the job easier.