Xantia instrument lights again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaz
My Cars:

Xantia instrument lights again

Post by Gaz »

I've lost a couple more bulbs from the speedo and tacho area and its now time to do something about it. I've had a good look around on here and found some helpful tips but I still have two questions.
1) Before I get some bulbs from AS, can somebody tell me exactly what the bulbs are and whether they should come as capless or not, and what wattage?
2) A few people have mentioned getting to the panel without removing the steering wheel which sounds more appealing..how is it done please?

Thank you.
Gaz
Xantia '93 1.9TD SX (with adjustable steering column).
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Gaz, It's bloody hard work removing the instruments with the steering wheel in place, remove it, its a lot better. As for bulb types, phone Andyspares and they will tell you the ones you need. Get about a dozen of them as there are around 25 of them!
Good luck,
Paul
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its 1.2w capless bulbs, known in the Trade as 286 type bulbs.
I believe theres also a couple of 5w capless as well, these are the 501 type bulb.
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Gaz,
I did this on mine last weekend. Removing the steering wheel isn't much of a problem but getting it back in the right place is a bit more fun if you have an air bag set up. To get to the screws holding the air bag the wheel has to be turned so that the spokes are north - south rather than east - west. One way to get the wheel back in the right place is to note where the point of the double chevrons are pointing before removing the airbag. You must of course observe the precautions for powering down the airbag and since this requires disconnecting the battery you will need to know your radio code.
It's worth the effort to be able to see where the needles are on the dials again.
Jon,
I didn't realise there were some more powerful bulbs in the set. Any ideas which ones?
Phil
Gaz
My Cars:

Post by Gaz »

Thanks for the replies, I haven't got around to doing it yet. I am also interested about which bulbs go where. There seem to be three main bulbs illuminating the speedo and tacho, the two right hand ones have gone out and so I can just see the left hand side of the speedo. Will these be the larger type? I can get to call anyspares in a few hours but i like to know as much as possible first. Thanks Gaz (no airbag, but thank you anyway)
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Gaz, My motto for replacing the dash bulbs is....Test any/every bulb thats on the instrument panel, and replace the ones that have gone, All the bulbs should be the same. Nip to the scrapyard and get some extra bulb holders too as you may be able to put some extra ones into spare holes in the panel, I did and it made a difference too.
Regards
Paul
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

I opened up the plastic cover behind the instrument panel to spray a little silicone lubricant into the gauges. My fuel gauge sometimes did not move. After spraying the lubricant, the fuel gauge shot up straight away. After opening the plastic panels a few times, the screw holes disintegrated and the screws just can't hold onto the panels anymore. I try to use glue to glue in the screws but doesn't work so well when you open the panels again next time. Anyone got any ideas how to repair the screw holes?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

can you use a slightly bigger screw or have the lugs on the covers broken off?
If the lugs have broken off you could try and glue the covers on with a couple of dabs of something like copydex that will break off nexttime you need access. Don't use more than a minimum though.
jeremy
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Does the ZX take the same types of bulbs?-half my instrument panel is out, damn POS.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes - loads of capless bulbs - replace all dashboard illumination ones as the rest will go soon. Also consider the more common warning light bulbs.
I did ours without removing the steering wheel but if you haven't got an airbag its easy enough to do as i found out when the indicator switch failed.
Jeremy
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

yes,
quite a few of mine have gone as well, will be getting new bulbs asap what with all these nights drawing in etc... got my heater control ones to do as well, will pop to my local andyspares on thursday & get a load then change all of them at the same time, otherwise you know what will happen, just replace the ones that have blown, couple of weeks later & some more will blow, also known as sods law!!
jon,
are the heater bulbs the same, as never had to change them yet (5 years!) if not, i take it andyspares do them?, what are the part number/item number?
dom
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

The heater control bulbs are non-standard apparently, although they are very similar to the type taken by the clock the heater bulbs dont protrude out the back as much. You will get away with fitting a clock bulb in the top socket, but not the bottom one.
Richard W
My Cars:

Post by Richard W »

don't know the part number I went to my local auto electrician with a sample and came away with bulbs for a ford mondeo clock! don't care though cos they work just fine
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

popped into local gsf today, got more dashbulbs, they now come with the bulb holder, woohoo.
went to change the heater control bulbs as well, now i cant seem to get the bottom bulb & holder back in [:(!], any ideas??[?]
also, my slider for the air circlation has snapped [:(!] any ideas on what i can do to repair it?, its snapped on the face of it.
or is it a new one needed.
dom
Diagsys
My Cars:

Post by Diagsys »

Hi there gaz, removing the panel is easy - if you happen to have a copy of the genuine citroen workshop manuals! -
get in touch if you want a copy of the bulb procedure emailed to you.
i usually find replacing the most common 8 or 10 will suffice. and they are lucas 286 bulbs