Starting a V6 after sitting for 8 years...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Starting a V6 after sitting for 8 years...

Post by DHallworth »

Right, as most will know I'm picking up the non running C5 V6 from Luke on Saturday.

The car hasn't been running for 8 years and in it's present state won't start.

I've been thinking about removing the inlet manifold, taking the plugs out and dropping 10 - 20ml of Diesel down each cylinder and leaving it for 24 hours just to try and give the rings a little lubrication before turning the engine to try and reduce the chances of any damage occurring.

Before trying to engage the starter I was also going to turn it over several times by hand just in case the timing belt decides that it doesn't fancy doing it's job any longer. At least this way if it does snap it won't do any damage.

Turning it by hand is a no brainer but am I being overly cautious here by putting Diesel down the cylinders?

What's everyone else's opinion?

Thanks!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
messerschmitt owner
My Cars:

Re: Starting a V6 after sitting for 8 years...

Post by messerschmitt owner »

last two XMs that I pulled out of garages after 4 or 5 years slumbering were kickstarted into life by making them go with a fresh battery.
Image My XMs
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

You pay your money and you take your chances...

My XM V6 started after 3 years with just a new battery, but it had been in a nice dry garage.

If it turns over by hand without the rings being obviously rusted to the bores, I would just start it.

I saw a jag engine started after 10 years, plugs out, diesel in the cylinders etc. It started OK, but after about 5 minutes of idling there was bang.. knock.. tap.. tap.. as one of the valves decided it was a bit sticky and stayed open until knocked shut by the piston. The compression was not quite the same afterwards, but could it have been avoided? Good luck!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Perhaps when you do crank it over the first time do it as a clear flood crank to prevent it starting so the oil pressure has some time to build up before subjecting components to combustion loads ? (presuming the ES9J4S supports clear flood crank! If not just remove the fuel pump fuse...)

What about the state of the timing belt ? Do timing belts deteriorate with age alone or do they need to be in operation to deteriorate ? In other words if a timing belt does 10 years or 80,000 miles, how much of the wear is rubber deterioration due purely through age and how much is mechanical stress and oil contamination from operation ? An analogy would be tyres which in sunlight deteriorate whether or not you use them...

Is there any chance the water pump might have seized in 8 years leading to a timing belt failure on first attempt to start ? A manual crank over before trying the starter would definitely be worth it to play it safe...

Interesting project. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Think I'm going to put a bar on it and spin it over by hand, if everything feels nice n normal then I'll start looking into why the starter motor won't energise.

Have got a spare starter and all sorts of other things looked out to take over and see if we can get the car running.

Have also been to a local scrap yard and cut the plug off a hydraulic pump on a breaker so that I can attempt to get the pump running and raise the car if all else fails with the attempts to get it running.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Does the starter solenoid just click ? If so maybe it needs the same starter relay modification as the Xantia V6 ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote:Does the starter solenoid just click ? If so maybe it needs the same starter relay modification as the Xantia V6 ?
I had a look at that before, the wiring diagram was very much different to the Xantia one. Not something I would have wanted to undertake doing with my lack of knowledge. If David does though, I'd be interested in hearing how it's done :)

I'm also about 75% certain the timing belt (and spark plugs) are listed (on their own), as a 120,000km (~75k miles) or 10 year replacement, if I remember, I will check when I go out to the car next. But if it is, then it would certainly be top of the list for replacing.

Might be worth hooking it up to a lexia and firing off some of the actuators? I know you can manually fire off the front/back raising/lowering of the suspension as an actuator test, but I'm not sure whether you can do this without the engine running.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ben82 wrote: Might be worth hooking it up to a lexia and firing off some of the actuators? I know you can manually fire off the front/back raising/lowering of the suspension as an actuator test, but I'm not sure whether you can do this without the engine running.
You can do yes and if I remember correctly economy mode should not effect this either. It will need a strong battery though!

David, I guess a Range Rover battery would be sufficient, C5s do have very heavy duty ratings.

While you can lift the front and rear this is independant and not the whole car, which is a shame as that would make getting it on the trailer quite easy.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I've got two meaty batteries to take with me, one to go in the car and a spare. I'm also taking the jump leads and will have the Range Rover with me should we need any extra juice.

Am going to be taking a boot full of stuff as well so hopefully be able to get the thing moved.

Chris, can I lift the front and leave it up, then lift the back and leave that up or do you need to drop the front before you can raise the back using the Lexia?

Cheers

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DHallworth wrote: Chris, can I lift the front and leave it up, then lift the back and leave that up or do you need to drop the front before you can raise the back using the Lexia?

Cheers

David.
When you run the actuator test to raise the front, it stays raised until you come out of that actuator menu, which you will need to do to raise the rear. The front would then lower and you could raise the rear. There doesn't seem to be an option to raise the car all at once, you can do with the interior buttons but that requires the engine running ...
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Depending on the shape of the trailer ramp that might be enough ? The nose diving into the ramp is likely to be the main problem, if you can winch it past there with the nose up then swap to the tail being up before it has to go over the rise it might do the job...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

I looked this up based on the insane thought that there's a minute possibility that they exist.. but Mobile Axle Stands!...

I'm not sure I like the look of the sturdiness of them tbh, but maybe a helpful tool in this scenario?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

They could be handy for pushing it around although I'm not sure personally I'd trust them. I guess for bodyshop etc pushing shells or things around without axles they are ideal ?

I'd also agree timing belt is likely to deteriorate with age as well.

Putting derv down the bores sounds reasonable although what the cat(s) would do I'm not sure. If it turns by hand OK I'd be tempted to pull the fuel pump relay and crank it for a bit to ensure there's some oil present where it should be then connect back up and try to start it.

Coolant probably OK unless it was rotten and rusty and actually froze up in the cold, ie cracked something.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Service book only states 120K km for timing belt, nothing about age. I would still be inclined to change it just for peace of mind.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

DHallworth wrote:Right, as most will know I'm picking up the non running C5 V6 from Luke on Saturday.

The car hasn't been running for 8 years and in it's present state won't start.
Only last week we had to bring a Renault 4 engine that had not run since 2008 back to life.

Put oil in it.

Put fresh fuel in it.

Put a new battery on the car.

Turned the ignition on, hit the starter button, and it started immediately, and settled down to a nice idle.

I'd just check it turns, and try and start it. I really wouldn't go to the hassle of putting anything down the bores. Modern materials and assembly techniques are so much better than old ones. Plus, anything odd you put down the bores might ruin the cats..