C5 LDS Tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dircon

C5 LDS Tank

Post by Dircon »

Last week my local Citroen Dealer replaced some Hydraulic pipes on my car. After I got the car home, I looked at the Level of LDS showing through the side of the Tank, and I wondered if the Dealer had left it a little Low.

Therefore, on Saturday morning I took my 2001 C5 Exclusive SE V6 Auto back to my Citroen Dealer, and asked them to check my LDS Level. They were busy, and did not have any of their usual mechanics on duty. Nevertheless, they took my car in and said they would check the Level while I waited.

When they handed the car back to me, they informed me that they had Topped Up the level. But, it had only required a very small amount of LDS.

After I had driven home, (approx’ half a mile), I lifted the Bonnet and checked the LDS Level myself.
I found that the Seam around the centre of the LDS Tank was leaking fluid. This seam had always been bone dry.

After using several rolls of kitchen paper, it is now only leaking if the car’s Suspension is placed into the Low position.

Obviously, I will be contacting my Dealer on Monday. What I hope you guys may be able to advise me on is……..

What is the correct procedure to Top-Up the LDS Level on my car?

Could the Dealer’s LDS Top-Up on Saturday have caused the Tank to Leak, had they not followed the correct procedure?

The Dealer gave me a Print-Out which states……………….
Checking and Topping up the LDS fluid.
“Start the engine.
Wait for the vehicle height to stabilise.
Put the vehicle in the “high” position.
Lower the vehicle to the low position.
Turn the steering from lock to lock in each direction.
Stop the engine.
Check the LDS fluid level.

The Print-Out then has a diagram which shows that the LDS Min Level is just below the Lip of the Lowest Half of the Tank. Therefore, just below the Tank Seam.

They then state that if the LDS is below this Min Level, 1 litre of LDS should be added.

They then give another diagram which shows the Top of the Tank and the LDS Level Window.
The Window has 3 Marks shown.

At the Top is the word MAX. They state that this is the LDS Max Level.

The Centre Mark, i.e. HYD they do not mention.

They finally state that the lowest Mark, i.e. BASE is the correct Level for my car.”

What also concerns me, is that the Print-Out refers to Hydractive Suspension 3. Whereas, my car has Hydractive Suspension 3+.

I queried this with the Dealer, and he replied that this Print-Out was the same for all C5s.

If someone could through some light on this before I contact the Dealer on Monday, it would be really useful.

Many thanks,
Paul
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: C5 LDS Tank

Post by spider »

Initial thought is the tank seam has just split either just to back luck or it being moved / damaged in some way. A split in the seam of any type of tank like this (assume plastic) can happen but its not common. I'm assuming its not under great pressure.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Dircon

Post by Dircon »

It is Plastic. Its Pressure is supposed to be .5 Bar.

I have heard rumours that, not following the correct Topping Up procedure can Split the Seam, due to causing too much pressure.

I have seen a posting on another forum, where some Guy had his Tank explode.

Thank for your reply Spider.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd say to await others comments although I could not see how it could split at that kind of pressure but this is not my area (hydraulics) at all. That's about 10 psi give or take.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Now, I'm not certain on the C5 but on the C6 the system needs to be depressurised using a Lexia, once the system has been depressurised, remove the LDS filler cap and the level should be just touching the bottom of the little 'basket'.

Yes there have been occassions where LDS tanks have leaked and/or exploded this is usually due to them being over filled, however, I also seem to recall, there being a batch of 'iffy' ones.

worth getting your dealer to check via the VIN.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Dircon

Post by Dircon »

Dealer has replaced the LDS Tank with an updated model.

I have paid for the Tank.

Dealer has paid for the Labour and the LDS Fluid.

All appears to be sorted now.

Thanks for your replies.

Paul