ZX Handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

ZX Handbrake

Post by froggy »

Hi ,I need to tighten the handbrake on my 1995 zx, never done the job before! do I need to get underneath? or can I tighten it from inside the car? :? thanks in advance Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: ZX Handbrake

Post by red_dwarfers »

If it's anything like the Xantia/XM/GSA the adjustment is on the brake callipers themselves. Chock the front of the car, back end jacked up on axle stands as you'll need to take the rear wheels off (I'm assuming the hand brake is on the back wheels on a ZX) and there will be a chunky cable coming in. Let the handbrake off, wire brush off the handbrake cable locknut and thread, maybe stick a bit of lubricant on it for good measure then loosen the locknut and turn which ever way pulls the cable away from the calliper.

Make sure both sides are equal. If I remember rightly, the rough guide is 3 clicks of the handbrake to hold the car solidly.

That really is just a rough guide. It's been a while since I've done the job and I'm used to cars with handbrakes on the front wheels.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: ZX Handbrake

Post by spider »

I think its inside the car as its almost the same as a 306, unscrew central console bolts (rear ashtray etc if fitted) and you should see it, probably a 13mm nut.

The main adjustment is there, if you have rear drums its likely the drums want adjusting up rather than the cable though in some cases.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG