Camshaft C5 1.5Hdi 2006 facelift model

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmd
My Cars:

Camshaft C5 1.5Hdi 2006 facelift model

Post by jmd »

While driving at a slow speed in Dublin traffic recently, I experienced a loud rattling sound coming from the engine. Drove slowly to the nearest Citroen Dealer who advised that my Camshaft Chain & tensioner needed replacing. I asked if this was a service item that should be replaced at a specific time I didn't feel it was, as I had read the service manual and did not come across any reference to this. His answer was no, as they do not usually give any trouble. I received a quote from him to have this work carried out together with a Timing Belt, water Pump pulleys (Kit) renewed. Quotation 1,300.00 Euro. i took the car away to the nearest pick-up point for a friend to collect. Purchased the parts elsewhere for 300.00 Eure & will have a friend of mine carry out the repairs.
Has anybody experienced this Cam chain/ tensioner problem. Perhaps it is something to be aware of. Car mileage is 193,000 Km, (Just under 120,000 miles
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Camshaft C5 1.5Hdi 2006 facelift model

Post by RichardW »

Problems with this chain are not unknown - see this thread by Lighty. Hope your injectors will come out..... [-o<
Richard W
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The chains can become quite worn, I have not yet had to repair one purely because of noise. I can tell you it is a difficult job. Make sure you mark the cams, as finding the correct setting ONTHE one I did was tricky.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Thanks Lighty & WilliamW. I am having the job carried out tomorrow night by a friend of mine a Diesel Machanic, I cannot understand why this is not a named service item, as the car had made no noticeable extra noise prior to the loud chattering. Seems to me like the tensioner just collapsed. Hate to think what might have happened to my engine had I been travelling at speed along the motorway, chain would probably have slid off the sprockets, with unthinkable consequences for the engine.