xantia alternator brushes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

xantia alternator brushes

Post by bill hughes »

many thanks to citroen xm, with your help I've changed the brushes in my alternator,the only thing that puzzled me was that I could only find 2 bolts to loosen the tension on the belt, one was in an elongated slot and the other screwed up from the bottom to slacken the belt, I put it all back as it was and the belt seems about right for tension but I took it for a spin and the alternator got fairly hot, dont know if this is normal, bye the way the car is a 1994 1.9 td without air conditioning, once again many thanks.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: xantia alternator brushes

Post by citroenxm »

Hi there.

NO problem. The upper securing bolt is IN THE MIDDLE of the tensioner pully.. Theres a curcular cover on some of them..

Glad you got sorted. A bit of warmth should be fine. It will also conduct engine heat via the block...

If you have access to a Multimeter, the voltage across the battery when the engine is running should sit around 14.2v..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I do have experience of the hot alternator problem, or not.
Could be caused by extra charging needed if the car has not been used for a few days. I changed my alternator for a new one and it ran too hot to touch and I was worried.
It was always hot until I did a short run of about 20 mins and when I got back it was just warm, about the same as the engine in general. If it passes this test all should be ok as once battery charged the alternator isn't working so hard so doesn't run hot.
My question was answered here http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=43824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and gives the voltages at the battery I had, if you have a volt meter you should see the voltage drop when battery starts to charge.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

Post by bill hughes »

To citroen xm thanks again, hope not to have to take it off again. To Charentejohn, thanks for your advise, the car had stood for over a week and as the alternator had been dodgy for a while what you said makes sense, as a matter of interest you cant be too far from me as I live in the south Vienne and try to avoid garages over here, hence having a go myself, regards Bill.