206 pressure plate bolts, what grade are they?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

206 pressure plate bolts, what grade are they?

Post by avamotor »

Hello to everyone,

I have now sent off my gearbox from my 2004 Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI for repair, purchased new Valeo clutch kit (complete with free aligning tool) but had a difficult time getting the old splined headed bolts (rounding off etc) off the flywheel. :roll:

After grazed knuckles from various parts of the engine, and several mutterings, and of "goodness gracious this bolt is proving a little difficult to remove!" and other choice phrases passed down to me by me peers, my good friends "heat and brute force" prevailed in removing the old bolts!! :-D

Unfortunately the bolts didn't have any details stamped on them i.e 8.8 to identify there grade. I have purchased some 10.9 grade Hex headed bolts to make life easier for me in 143,000 miles when i have to replace the clutch again, but is 10.9 "too much" in the way for strength, it will be torqued up as stated with the Haynes "jokebook" manual but not knowing if they are grade 8.8, 10.9, 12.9 i don't want to strip the tread on the fly wheel nor damage the clutch pressure plate assembly! [-X

Is anyone out there with this prior knowledge to save me going to the stealers! :shock:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 206 pressure plate bolts, what grade are they?

Post by Peter.N. »

Hmm, this is the modern world, I have never torqued up clutch pressure plate bolts in my life, just pull them up until they feel right - but that of course comes with experience although I have never broken one or had a clutch fall apart. I wouldn't think the spec is that critical so if you set them at the correct torque I can't see that you can go wrong.

Peter
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I've never used a torque wrench on the pressure plate bolts either, although I used to always fit them by hand with a ratchet not with an air tool of any kind.

I'd also apply a blob of threadlock to them as well.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No. for 6 pressure plate bolts for a MK2 1.4 HDI 206 from pug dealer

Reference Description Quantity Price - VAT Price + VAT Total + VAT Selection
00006912J3 SCREW CBX 0.51 GBP 0.61 GBP 3.66 GBP
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years