C5 exhaust rattle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

C5 exhaust rattle

Post by dnsey »

My C5 II (2.0 HDi 16v) has an annoying rattle at times.
It mostly occurs under load, comes and goes, and appears for all the world as though the exhaust system is contacting the bodywork somewhere near the bulkhead. It sounds and feels too loud to be a loose heatshield, baffles etc.
I've had a good look, but the exhaust is well clear throughout its length, and I can't find anything else which might be to blame.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did it turn out to be?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C5 exhaust rattle

Post by RichardW »

Sadly the letters DMF spring to mind, closely followed by ££££ It's not a cheap job on this engine, and not easy if you do it yourself. It probably does it mostly at low revs just as let the clutch in? Does it also squeak when you turn the engine off?
Richard W
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

My petrol C5 does that, it's something loose inside the middle muffler.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Get it on a ramp and see if you can move it side to side to impact on any part of the underside. Also tap all the boxes to see if theres any loose parts inside causing the noise. Also check the rubber rear hanger to see if its split, the rear box can bounce up and down hitting the underside.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Thanks guys.
I'm pretty sure that it's exhaust related rather than DMF, as the noise is more of a buzz, and occurs over a fairly narrow mid-rev range. If it was a spotier sort of car, it might almost be a desirable sound :wink: There's no squeak either, and I can't provoke it by mistreating the clutch when stationary.
It's got no worse over the 5k or so miles I've owned the car, but sometimes disappears for a while, particularly when the car's been up on ramps, leading me to suspect that the exhaust system has moved clear of something.
I can't get the exhaust to touch anything by shaking it, but will try tapping the boxes. The DPF was removed (for cleaning?) shortly before I had it; I wonder if the internals are loose?