Buying Advice on a C5 Estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sam KS
My Cars:

Buying Advice on a C5 Estate

Post by Sam KS »

Hi all

Looking at adding to our garage a Citroen C5 HDi Estate. I've seen a few 2005 models advertised as reasonable prices and wandered what I should look out for? We already have the Xantia and if they brought the Xantia out in Australia with a HDi I'd go for one of them,but no luck.

So then peeps here are the questions;
  • what problems should I look out for?
    What HDi is better and why?
    All I can find is auto (4sp) is this god all right with the Diesel or should I hold out for a manual?
    What year span had this face lift and when did the current body shape come in?
    Can any one make sense of the trim codes? (Like Ford have LX=poverty pack, Zetec=1/2 spec, titanium=fully opted)
I have been doing some research on these and It looks like they are not the most reliable car on the market but that is reflected in the price. Also seems they are a bit more reliable than the same year Passat but over here selling for about half the price so it makes the Citroen a no brainer.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Buying Advice on a C5 Estate

Post by Peter.N. »

The best engine without doubt is the 2.0. 8 valve Hdi, which was used until 05, its much simpler than the later ones with no DPF and is easier to work on, its also capable of 60 mpg driven carefully, at least the manual one is. I personally don't like auto's, they increase fuel consumption, reduce performance and if it goes wrong will cost a fortune.

The facelift model came out here in 05 but they use the later range of 16v engines, the 1.6 is not so good, the 2.0. is better but more complicated then the early one, the 2.2 is thirsty but goes well.

There are some very cheap ones available here, I bought two 2001s for £300.00 and £550.00 respectively, they both had a few faults but didn't cost a fortune to fix, you can get a really nice one for £1000 - £1500, I know that doesn't help you much. I didn't know they had made it to Australia.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The "X7" designated revamp came in 2008 officially, Australia would be unlikely to have seen any before 2009.

I would not own a C5 at all, but if I had to it would be on an agreed value policy not market value. "Market value" of too many spares is extravagant, meaning cars get written off after a minor event that leaves you inconvenienced after sorting the niggles out on a good car.

Jobs that come up too often:
Brake switch
Handbrake cables
Cracked screens (maybe due to size, they are less robust)?
Rear height corrector failure
Suspension pump failure
Trailing arm bearing wear
Glass tailgate latch

And of course the faults:
Aerial fault
Display coherence fault
Steering angle sensor fault (this one can affect the Hydractive)
Headlight lens hazing

I honestly don't believe there's enough good car behind all of that to be worth the grief. At ten years of Australian climate I would be provisioning $800 for all new genuine spheres, too.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Re: Buying Advice on a C5 Estate

Post by Sam KS »

Hmmm after seeing the UK prices it might be cheaper buying something over there, shipping and paying the ripoff stamp duty.

I wanted something CRDi in an estate but C5's go or $8000 here.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition