'12 C5 overspeed alarm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uranium

'12 C5 overspeed alarm

Post by uranium »

I have '12 C5 with sat nav and when I drive above the 120Km mark it beeps annoyingly. I have read somewhere that the overspeed alarm could be accessed through the button at the end of the wipers stick. I have tried doing that but all that this button does is changing the 'Mode' in the main screen (sat nav screen) between Telephone/Radio/navigation. I bought my car from Saudi Arabia, could that be the reason?

Thanks in advance :)
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: '12 C5 overspeed alarm

Post by qprdude »

It's probably set from the button on the steering wheel. The one that sets the speed limiter and cruise (bottom left). I think you just press it once, then increase the speed with the + - buttons at the top left of the wheel. Once you have increased the limiter to a high reading, the alarm shouldn't sound.
I'm off out now so I can't check, but if no-one else confirms, I'll get back to you.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If it's the same as mine press you the wiper stalk button until the 'overspeed on' message appears on screen then a long press on the button should switch it off and bring up the message 'overspeed off' and the beeping is switched off. You can programme it to beep at a speed of your choice but I'd need to find my handbook to tell you how.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

If it's a 2012 car then it's on the steering wheel. The Cruise/ limit button. 1st press brings up the speed that it is set to start the alarm. Just increase the speed by pressing the + button on the top left. Mine is set for 110 mph, so never goes off.
Think the wiper stalk button was on older models.
Rick.

uranium

Post by uranium »

it did not work out :( when I press the cruise/limit button, it alters between cruise & limit options. There is no overspeed option.
I am beginning to suspect that this is some sort of region specific feature. You can't imagine how annoying it is to drive to work in the morning with a car that sounds like an emergency room. It is the same alarm that goes off when you open the door before parking.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Not sure I understand. If it is the alarm to say you are exceeding the limit set in the speed limiter, then you press the cruise/limit button once only, then press the + button at the top left of the wheel until the speed shows on the instrument cluster keep pressing the plus button until the speed shows above 100mph. I'm wondering if the car is set to KPH rather than MPH. 120 KPH very low for Motorway driving in the UK. I think there is a way to change the mode from KPH to MPH but I can't remember it offhand.
Rick.

uranium

Post by uranium »

there are two things here:
1-Speed limiter. this gives you the option to practically set a limit for the speed of car which could be set by pressing the limit/cruise button. if I set the speed at 100Kmh, for example, I will NOT be able to drive over this limit because the limiter prevents me from doing so. I can turn off this features conveniently by pressing a button in the steering wheel.

2-Overspeed Alarm: this is a continuous annoying beep that goes off when I drive over 120Kmh to supposedly warn me that my speed is too high. This does not prevent me from driving over 120Kmh but it beeps continuously until I lower my speed.

These two things do not seem to be related. For example, I can set the limiter to be 140Kmh which will prevent me from driving over 140 but the overspeed alarm will start beeping when I drive over 120Kmh

and so my question goes: is there a way of disabling the (overspeed alarm)?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Thanks everyone :)
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Didn't know the C5 had a speed/rev limiter. The alarm sounds to warn you that you are exceeding the MPH you set.
Rick.

uranium

Post by uranium »

it has a speed limiter. been using it for a while and it is quite handy.

only if I could get rid of this annoying alarm...
uranium

Post by uranium »

Do you think that I can get rid of this sound using Lexia?