C5 - bad draught around steering column

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kandhh
My Cars: Currently own: 2006 Citroen C5 HDi Exclusive estate and 1982 GSA special estate. Previous cars: Citroen Synergie, Xantia 2.0i VSX, BX 14 RE, Renault Clio Mk1 1.9D, Renault Alpine A310/V6, Renault 17 TS and Wolseley 1300 (not French but my first car and I loved it).

C5 - bad draught around steering column

Post by kandhh »

I have just acquired a 2006, C5 2.0 Hdi Exclusive estate. I love the car, but there is a bad draught that enters in the vicinity of the steering column at speeds over 50 mph, getting worse as speed increases. With this cold weather (external air temp -2C) this is very uncomfortable, especially as I have a circa 1 hour commute. I have tried everything with the controls, but the only thing that stops it is to put the air con on "recirc" - which then causes the car to mist up. Basically, that is not an acceptable solution. Has anybody else suffered this and, more importantly, how did you solve it?
waynedance

Re: C5 - bad draught around steering column

Post by waynedance »

Yeah I noticed this and have packed lots of insulation material under the dash and around the steering column. Was getting a right draught on my leg.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
kandhh
My Cars: Currently own: 2006 Citroen C5 HDi Exclusive estate and 1982 GSA special estate. Previous cars: Citroen Synergie, Xantia 2.0i VSX, BX 14 RE, Renault Clio Mk1 1.9D, Renault Alpine A310/V6, Renault 17 TS and Wolseley 1300 (not French but my first car and I loved it).

Post by kandhh »

Thank you very much for that. I will definitely keep that as an option. I managed to get upside down in the footwell and saw up past the pedals. There is what appears to be an air outlet (grill) that vents into the space behind the centre console and I believe this is part of the "forced air intake" system. I would prefer to make that system function properly, if that really is the problem and isn't too difficult/expensive, otherwise the insulation option will be the route I will take. Thanks again.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I have a customer who does lots of miles in his C5, he has had two mk11 cars and both have the same problem. Unfortunately I havnt found a cure , but will try a bit harder :)
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Recirc should not mist up the car if you have the condenser working correctly.
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Post by Richard Stevens »

So, it's not just my car!
Yes, I thought I was imagining it at first, but definitely icy air around the lower legs. Never had it with my previous C5.
I was unaware of any 'forced air' system, but will see what is there.
Haven't done the upside-down bit yet, it's been too damn cold.
Like you, I'd rather have it working......

RS
1995 ZX Turbo diesel Volcane
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
2006 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive
Remember - many warnings are spurious or bad connections
kandhh

Post by kandhh »

Appreciate all your comments so far.

It seems not to have been too bad recently and feeling has returned to my legs whilst driving - but that could be that the weather's a tad bit warmer. The whole area around the steering column and beneath the control panel is always much cooler to the touch than the surrounding trim. It makes me wonder if there is a temperature controlled flap somewhere that isn't perhaps working as it should be. Prior to my recent purchase of the vehicle, it had not been moved for 6 months at the car dealers with little interest shown in it (I wonder why?). It could be that the theoretical flap or actuator has become ceased and recent use has freed it up....?

The "forced/external" air intake I refer to is part of the recirc switch. It has appropriate icons showing air coming in from outside on one half of the switch and recirc on the other. When you press the button it cycles through recirc/external/off (normal operation a/c or blower). It is described better in the owners manual.

Will keep you informed.

K