xantia petrol.engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Harry1975

xantia petrol.engine

Post by Harry1975 »

just got in car started it ,drove half mile up road ,then engine cut out, started it back up, now idles erratic. it goes right down to nearly stop ,then back to 1000rpm .its up down up down cut out. It will rev. strong petrol smell. any ideas people. all sensors connected. ran fine only a few days ago. though have been running her on very low fuel. its sods law mot due in a few days :) any help people i would be most grateful . thanks Harry [-o<
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: xantia petrol.engine

Post by spider »

If its really bad stinking of fuel check for fuel leaks. You do not say which engine type. Some of the 1.8/2.0 16v XU's could leak from the piping that ran across the plastic cover on the cylinder head, a replacement section was the usual cure for that.

I guess a really over rich mixture would make it smell and certainly make it cut out too.

Check fuel filter (replace if its old) as running really low on fuel will of filled this (if its old as well) with crud from the bottom of the tank, possibly resulting in a partial blockage.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Harry1975

Re: xantia petrol.engine

Post by Harry1975 »

1.8 16v . i think your right, smell from rich mix. will check the filter, as i took fuel pipe off rail and next to no fuel ran out, normaly a lot comes out. so think you me are right in thinking a blockage somewhere. fingers crossed. thanks for you input :)