Sportive Citroëns at Alastaro racetrack in Finland

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tepi
My Cars:

Sportive Citroëns at Alastaro racetrack in Finland

Post by Tepi »

I am not sure about the right forum selection, but I just wanted to share some videos with you. ACry (Citroen-club in Finland) Sport-division arranged us a whole hour at Alastaro Racetrack in Finland to explore how our Citroëns act at the limit of grip.
First I was unhappy because it started to rain when we got to the track. After a few laps, I was grinning and in couple of turns, laughing. Oversteering is dangerous at public roads, but on a closed circuit... it was fun, and learned a great deal about handling at wet conditions.
Make long story short, here are the videos:
(click with your right mouse button and select Save As...)
Driving to the track, just cruising - this is where most (all?) of the Citroëns just shine 9 megabytes
Citroën SM - do I need say more? :) 14 megabytes
My BX Sport in action (side from the racetrack) 8 megabytes
CX Turbo IC @ 1.0bar (incar and few drive-by) 93 megabytes
General video from side of the racetrack 42 megabytes
These videos require the latest DivX- and MP3-codecs.
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

il let you know next year what i think of them when my pc has finished downloading
Jon

Post by Jon »

I've got ADSL at home and a fairly big spec PC and even I gave up on these downloads.
Slow as a tortoise going really slowly somewhere in slowtown I'm afraid to say
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hi all,
I am having a bit of success downloading using a free utility called "Download Accelerator Plus". I've used it for a long time. It was free on a magazine CD but you can download it from www.speedbit.com Its less than 2mb.
When you've got it. Install it then right click on the links above and click on "Download with DAP". I got the first file of 9mb in about 4 mins on an ADSL cable broadband.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Another thing about DAP is that you can "resume" which means you can download a bit of the file today... then a bit more tomorrow. So, if its a big file and download is slow, you can download it a bit at a time.
By the way, I'm in no way connected to DAP. I just stumbled across it some time ago and find it really useful. See what you think.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Tepi,
I got all 5 videos. Looks like you had a good day out. Pitty about the rain.
There are a wide range of Citroens going around that track.
The SM sounds wicked. The CX Turbo is fast too. Is that noise a dump valve as it changes gear ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes Kev - I've used the DAP program for ages ever since my slowmodem days - it really works wonders to download speed even for 56K modems....
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

time to give the works 2meg connection a work out, 220k/sec is nice compared to the 3k/sec i get at home! :D
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

i can downlaod them alright at work but alls i get is sound, no pictures?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

benj you need to install the divx codec to get the picture
Tepi
My Cars:

Post by Tepi »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KevMayer</i>

Tepi,
I got all 5 videos. Looks like you had a good day out. Pitty about the rain.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It really was a fun day! Like I said at the opening post, the rain wasn't that bad even though none of us didn't get chance to drive through bends tires screaming.
I'd say that next summer this kind of event is a MUST! [:p] Track event was just a small part of the day. Some pictures here:
AC ry meeting.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
There are a wide range of Citroens going around that track.
For the first 50 minutes, track was available for sportive Citroëns only. After that the last 10 minutes was reserved for everybody who wanted to check it out. For the first laps I had XM V6 24V tailing me, but BX's poor tires weren't good enough to keep even 500 kg heavier cruiser behind. [:)] That was other car that passed me through entire time, the other was my friend´s white CX Turbo...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The SM sounds wicked. The CX Turbo is fast too. Is that noise a dump valve as it changes gear ?
The SM was fun to be onboard. The owner mashed the acceletor and it sounded like fighter plane coming from somewhere, awesome! [8D] I guess those three carburators had something to do about it. [}:)] Someone shooted more video at idle with some revving, mut unfortunately I didn't get that part to tape.
Yes, that CX Turbo has a dump valve installed. Pretty fast too when it had its boost upped to 1 bar (15 psi, i think?). The owner now has a XM Turbo CT and he says it's so slow... [:D]
PS. CX is on sale, but I think most of you guys are too far away from that car to come to see hence buying and delivering it.
Julma
My Cars:

Post by Julma »

For the first 50 minutes, track was available for sportive Citroëns only. After that the last 10 minutes was reserved for everybody who wanted to check it out. For the first laps I had XM V6 24V tailing me, but BX's poor tires weren't good enough to keep even 500 kg heavier cruiser behind. [:)] That was other car that passed me through entire time, the other was my friend´s white CX Turbo...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well, that XM had almost 80 horsepowers more and more torque too, so it's not really wonder if it passed... ;) Still regretting that I wasn't able to come make it to the track... this time. ;)
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">(Jon) I've got ADSL at home and a fairly big spec PC and even I gave up on these downloads.
Slow as a tortoise going really slowly somewhere in slowtown I'm afraid to say<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, I'm aware of that. Now, yesterday I was a bit unsure if I should "allow" Tepi to post that url here or not, because I was aware that it would increase my use of bandwidth at least temporarily. Last night there was around 300 kb/s upload-traffic from my computer for few hours or so, so it's not really wonder if some of you didn't actually get very fast downloads. I'm connected to local area network of about 30-40 computers and all of them are connected to Internet via 4 Mbps fiber. Outgoing traffic is usually around 500 kb/s total, so sometimes I'm the one who sucks away almost all of the bandwidth in use. So, there's the main reason for slowdowns.
Another reason is that I'm having some kind of problem with my Apache-installation or Windows (XP Pro). Don't really know why, but I'm looking into it when I have time and energy to do so... it may also be that someone else is sucking all the bandwidth at the time. :P
Tepi
My Cars:

Post by Tepi »

Just wanted this thread up and make sure everybody has seen these videos. And more comments are welcome... :)
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

That SM sounds GORGEOUS!!!!!!
I'm at work and have had most of the corridor in to see what it was about.
gonna try it through one of our PA systems - see what it sounds like at 2KW....... ;-)