No response in Renault section!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Fake Concern
My Cars:

No response in Renault section!

Post by Fake Concern »

I got no response in the Renault section so I'm re posting in this general section as I'm sure people must have the answer.

This afternoon we all went out in my daughters 1999 1.2 Clio. Stopped for a few minutes, then start car to go home & the tacho went mad, showing no revs then 7000rpm all over the place, but car driving normally. When we got to a junction, I suggested she turn the car off & re start it to see if it clears it. She turns engine off, then the car wont re start, (I was popular as you can imagine!) but the rev counter shows 7000rpm with ignition on (engine stopped). We called the recovery truck & the driver plugs in his code reader, which then says it cannot connect with vehicle on 2 or 3 tries. Next time it connects, doesn't show any fault codes, but now the car starts and the tacho back to normal! We drove home no problems. The recovery man suggested it could be the throttle sensor, but no warning lights were on and no code could be read. I suppose we will have to leave it & see if it happens again, but anyone have any ideas?
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
KP
My Cars:

Re: No response in Renault section!

Post by KP »

Test the battery voltage as it could be dying and they can cause all sorts of weird issues in cars.

Also if it does lots of short trips it might not be getting topped up as petrol uses more electric in motion than a diesel it takes a few more minutes to top up and with the cold spells lately wont have helped as they aren't wrapped batteries in those age of clios..
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

KP wrote:Test the battery voltage as it could be dying and they can cause all sorts of weird issues in cars.

Also if it does lots of short trips it might not be getting topped up as petrol uses more electric in motion than a diesel it takes a few more minutes to top up and with the cold spells lately wont have helped as they aren't wrapped batteries in those age of clios..
Thanks for the reply!
I fitted a new battery recently (about a month ago) and she just drove down from Norwich a week ago, so hopefully not this.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

A stab in the dark, but I've heard of strange electrical issues being caused by water ingress into the ECU wiring harness. As far as I can tell, the ECU is mounted in the same place, regardless of engine. Might be worth taking it out and cleaning up the connector.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

evilally wrote:A stab in the dark, but I've heard of strange electrical issues being caused by water ingress into the ECU wiring harness. As far as I can tell, the ECU is mounted in the same place, regardless of engine. Might be worth taking it out and cleaning up the connector.
Worth a try, thanks, when this mad weather stops I will give it a go & let you know. Having said that it's worked fine ever since!
Captain Slow
My Cars: C5 Estate V6

Post by Captain Slow »

I had a similar situation with my xsara once upon a time. Turned out that the battery terminals were not connected overly tightly. Might be worth a look?