A very worrying development

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

A very worrying development

Post by isisalar »

The exhaust on the Saxo fractured/rusted through immediately upstream of the flange coupling joining the front section to the joining pipe to the back box. Having visited my local motor factors I now know that I need a 40mm exhaust sleeve and a couple of clamps to effect a repair (about £12). Just can't afford a new system at the moment and I think I could get at least another 6 months or a year out of it with a repair.
They only had 1 50mm sleeve in stock but can order one Tuesday so I went to a local independent (5-6 branches) tyre and exhaust place to see if I could get one there.
I was told that they have been taken over by Kwik fit and they are now forbidden to stock sleeves or do any repair work whatsoever, its a new system or nothing. they have also,I was told, bought virtually all the tyre and exhaust centres nationwide, the exhaust manufacturers, and the distributors. It's all connected to Hitachi so they said.
Considering that two sections of the exhaust which I found online for £60 delivered, Kwik fit wanted £160 to fit, I find this very worrying, as it puts them in a virtual monopoly situation with complete control over the entire market and I can only see prices going one way.
I will certainly be getting in touch with the office of fair trading.
Kind regards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Re: A very worrying development

Post by Sean602 »

we had that with a Pug 306 had to in to KrapFit as they had the service contract for Lombard. Wife is a teacher so arranged to drop car off at 8 walk to work then pick it up after 4;30 with its shiny new service .
I'd picked her up and took her to KF to pick up car only to find it still up on the ramps asked why it wasn't ready is there a problem? was spun bull about it needing new disks and pads at the front as the callipers had siezed and they had to order a new exhaust as it was a special fitting. Come back tomorrow at 3.

She smelled a rat and came fetched me from the Van - chief Monkey was making a big deal of having to fit new disks and pads manager took me round to back of ramp to show me the broken rear bracket on the pristine exhaust and said they had to order a new one as it was special fitment. They proposed to fit a completely new system from manifold back including a new Cat as "You cant repair them"! Absolute Bullshit a cracked hanger - told them Id weld it and no way was it a special fitment as diesel 306s were the most popular car at the time, pointed out 4 of them in the 100yds of the street. At this point Big spanner Monkey came over to get a bit heavy told him to get back under the ramp and fit the disks and that it would take 15min a side MAX if it didn't he was an incompitent arse!
Manager started on me then so had a bit of a stooshie about what a difficult and intricate job fitting new disks was and what did I know about serviceing cars - to which Vicki calm as a anything said " He is a mechanic for a saloon car race team* if you can't do it give him the tools, and Ill have my keys thank you very much " and proceeded to phone the service manager at Lombard. That shut them all up priceless!

Strong letter was sent to the lease company pointing out the poor customer relations and the totally unnecessary work being carried out - there was nothing wrong with the brakes and the exhaust still had the paper labels on it.

So avoid Krap Fit at all costs - there may be a few good guys working for them but basically they are crooks they clocked Vicki as a single woman and therefore a soft touch.
Sean
*technically a 2cv IS a saloon and yes i do mechanic for a couple of teams :-D
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

isisalar wrote: I was told that they have been taken over by Kwik fit and they are now forbidden to stock sleeves or do any repair work whatsoever, its a new system or nothing. they have also,I was told, bought virtually all the tyre and exhaust centres nationwide, the exhaust manufacturers, and the distributors. It's all connected to Hitachi so they said.
Well, they've not taken over either of the ones I go to locally! Their prices on tyres and exhausts are way cheaper than the robbing gits at KF or National. They happily welded my Puma exhaust back in December too. I find KF just and are incompetent. I wouldn't trust them with a matchbox car.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That’s disgraceful...

Maybe some sort of new legislation coming in the future. Unlawful to repair an exhaust? can't imagine it but great for the likes of Kak-Fit to do yet more fleecing of the uneducated motorist...

They've not taken over our local place either. Delighted on Tuesday when Sain had a (another) slow puncture in her Pixo my local place repaired it for nothing as in free of charge and with a smile... Can't see Krap-Fit doing that.. In fact they didn't as Sian had another puncture a couple of months and did indeed take it to our local Kack-Fit and they not only charged her but were rude to her into the bargain. Very rude and ignorant. It still rankles with her now and she for one will never darken their doors ever again. She's just like her dad, it does not bode well to upset my daughter and they did by questioning her ownership of her own car!

Perhaps as Kwack-Flit only now fit complete systems I'd better try taking my XM there for a new exhaust.. That'll flummox them for sure :lol: :lol: I'd love to see their faces...

Than after taking a V6 XM perhaps someone could try getting them to fit a new Aventime system which I understand is just as unobtainable as the XM's...

My local place just declare me a complete nutter to even contemplate the ownership of an XM.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mine just shake their head at me now when I take in whatever vehicle I've got that month in for the tracking to be checked and the wheels to be balanced..
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Before I got the stainless system I rang Kwiki Fittup for a quote on the C4 VTS, they didn't know what the car was & wouldn't quote without seeing the car!
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sounds like similar is going on in the auto glass industry,
a one man band screen fitter i know has packed up because between the insurance company's and the likes of Autoglass they are making it very difficult for small/one man band outfits to buy one off glass at a worth while price to them,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Is this a TUD ?

They do tend to break at the joint, pattern ones especially genuine although an arm and a leg last longer. Possibly not under any stresses.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Isn't it a crying shame the car repair mobs such as Kak-Fit seem to be staffed entirely by people who are clearly and utterly unsuitable to hold such a post and have no concept of either how to properly do the job or how to interact and communicate with normal intelligent people.

I always get the feeling their natural vocation would be breaking rocks in a quarry or digging ditches...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

spider wrote:Is this a TUD ?
as its a 1.1 in his signature it will be the TU without the D Andy
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:
spider wrote:Is this a TUD ?
as its a 1.1 in his signature it will be the TU without the D Andy
For some reason ( :oops: ) I did not take any notice of the signature, oops.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG