C5 hdi heats quick

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

C5 hdi heats quick

Post by stu9 »

To bloody quick for a diesel....not that should be complaining though, especially through this weather, it's an 03 2.0, it only takes about 5 mins and it's the guage is bang on half way (at 6 o'clock) and doesnt move. It's just that I've known and read that diesels take or usually take ages to heat up....not this one

Have I got an early opening t/stat, is that what it is....if so, I suppose it's better that than to late
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: C5 hdi heats quick

Post by Xantidote »

stu9 wrote:Have I got an early opening t/stat,
On the assumption that the C5 cooling system is similar to the xantia, then definitely not. An early opening t/stat would result in coolant being diverted too early to the radiator, resulting in coolant and heater matrix warming up more slowly
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Is something wrong then
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Not necessarily. As you suggest, you need the heater to warm up quickly in this weather!

Has the temp gauge always sat at the 6 o'clock position? If this is it's usual position, then I'd not worry that anything's amiss. It's when the needle climbs that I start watching for telltale signs for confirmation that the fans have cut in as they should.

Nice hot coolant is what we humans want, to keep warm, and the engine wants for optimum efficiency (and less chance of it carboning up)

No doubt a C5 owner will be along with their tuppence worth shortly
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Xantidote wrote:Has the temp gauge always sat at the 6 o'clock position? If this is it's usual position, then I'd not worry that anything's amiss. It's when the needle climbs that I start watching for telltale signs for confirmation that the fans have cut in as they should.
Yep, always been there and so doesnt move.....oh I know about needles rising, I've had that a few times before in other cars, that's why when I saw this heating to quick....I had one eye on it and one on the road

PS....dont think ever heard the fan....never sat long enough, need to try it now

I was always told that if a fan doesnt come on, either turn off or drive...and/or turn the heater and blower on full and open all vents (did that before too)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think its more important to determine the real temperature of the coolant / engine rather than an excited gauge maybe.

Having said that perhaps they use the EGR pipe to heat the coolant (as per the little 1.4 units) in some way or maybe you have a coolant heater fitted, although I seem to think these are cold countries only.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Dont know, but I'm touching anything that's not broke....I just wondered that's all
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The HDi engine is fitted with a 'cooling circuit bypass solenoid' (I only know because mine's faulty).
I suspect that this does what its name suggests in cold weather in order to achieve faster warm up.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

On most there is also an auxiliary heater in the cooling circuit as HDis are so efficient they would otherwise take aeons to warm up.
My estate was up to temp very quickly. The hatch takes longer.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I do know that Gracie starts to blow warm air within a few minutes of starting (probably less than 3 miles), and the temperature gauge starts to move at about 5 miles.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine currently starts to warm up within a mile at pootling speeds and is good and warm by the time I get to work (4 miles)
If I take the alternative rout - dual carriageway - it is hot in 2 miles (70mph uphill).
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it has a working auxiliary heater you should start getting warm air through the vents in a couple of minutes or less.

Peter
stu9

Post by stu9 »

I guess I've got of these and it's working fine.....for now, as we all what French are like