clutch crisis C5 ..help!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

clutch crisis C5 ..help!!!!!

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
my C5 failed the mot the other day on the parking brake.....It has been in today for a new caliper to be fitted and my mrs took it for the re test, fine.....I went to move it tonight when I got in from work and it will barely move and there is a horrible burning smell?? The car (and clutch) was fine when it went in but now it isn't driveable. I have managed to limp it back to the garage it came from (about 200yds) won't go any further and if you try to rev it it's just slipping?? the clutch actually feels very light now when pressing it...What I want to know is, do they have to go anywhere near anything to do with the clutch?? I rang the guy and he says not,and he said it was fine on a test drive, but I don' t think they took it for one as it was still parked up in the (single) garage when my mrs went to pay the bill?? but it's gone from driving completely fine to un usable?? any ideas PLEASE...... :evil:
C5 X7
dnsey

Re: clutch crisis C5 ..help!!!!!

Post by dnsey »

How's the brake fluid level?
It also operates the hydraulic clutch.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
I haven't looked under the bonnet as it was dark when i returned home and just limped it back to the garage...They charged me for brake fluid so I assume it to be ok?? problem is it has been driven for a total of approx 2 miles in this state( don't know how) and now barely moves with the clutch fully up??? so I am guessing either way the clutch has probably had it,but it was fine when it went in, that's what is annoying me, never mind the fact that it is going into 3 days off the road now and is going to be longer if I need a new clutch...not happy.............
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

on my receipt, they have only charged me £2.88 for brake fluid....is this correct? does it need to be a special fluid in the C5?? I don't know but i'm sure I have heard this somewhere??
C5 X7
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The clutch / brake fluid is largely irrelevant tbh, this will not cause the issues you have. sounds like the clutch is plain worn out. It is going to be impossible to pin this one on the garage , even though it seems likely that they have hastened its demise. A carefully worded couple of questions will be better, like "how the hell was it ok yesterday and not today " would be a good start.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

well, that is exactly my point....for the last year I have owned it I have never had a single problem with it,not once...then it comes out of the garage having had the caliper fitted,and it isn't driveable....my mrs insists it was like this as soon as she got in it, but she didn't take it straight back to them.......it now barely moves so it doesn't look good,especially for my pocket....I thought I had got off reasonably well at £150. for a newly fitted caliper and labour, but it seems not.........don't suppose it has helped that my mrs continued to drive it for approx 2 miles, how as I say, I don't know. I just walked up to the garage to check the brake fluid level and it's fine...still smells of burning insode the car and even more so under the bonnet........not looking good is it?? pis**d off.com..............
C5 X7
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I was wondering not so much about the brake fluid added, but more if they'd allowed it to get so low that air has entered the clutch circuit. I'd normally expect this to cause he clutch to bind, but you never know...
It's ordinary DOT4, BTW, so shouldn't be expensive.
Sounds very sudden for clutch failure as such, but could be DMF :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Bit of a long shot but if it is indeed a shared system with the clutch hydraulics* and they have let air enter the system then there could be an airlock preventing the clutch operating correctly.
Fortunately the C5 has a bleed nipple on the clutch slave cylinder so checking that out shouldn't be a problem.

:offtopic:
Your old C5 went to have a replacement inner track rod joint today Dean. Ended up with an almost complete set of ball joints and bushes and drop links, plus new front discs and pads. :( Wasn't expecting that!
Haven't driven it since it was delivered, my son can test it going to work tonight.
Had the estate back for the day - I have never seen such a filthy and stinky car :evil:

* I don't doubt the veracity of this, just haven't ever got round to looking for myself.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

well,
I have just been reading some horror stories on clutch replacement on the C5 and if it is a dual mass flywheel, seems costs vary from £600 to over a grand.......well,that won't be happening.if that is the case,and the price, it will be going to the citroen graveyard.........full mot or not..............
C5 X7
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

While it s some time now since I had the clutch and DMF in the estate replaced, it came in at just under £500.
Depends where you take it of course.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

not sure I would spend that much steve....just spent £150 on it and I paid only just over 800 so it makes me wonder,as good a car as it has been, whether to bother and put money towards a different car??
C5 X7
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Always a difficult decision. Out of the frying pan...
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

yes I know what you mean,and it's a really nice car.......just so annoying that it was absolutely fine when it went in and now it isn't..I have to wait of course for the garages verdict on it, but I suspect it isn't going to be good news...... :|
C5 X7
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Are you sure it is the clutch at fault and not the brake caliper binding and causing the clutch to slip as any fully functioning clutch would?
The garage will not have been anywhere near the clutch when changing the caliper. Jack the front of the car up with the handbrake off and try turning the wheels and that will tell you if it is the clutch or brake system at fault.
My guess is that when bleeding the brakes after replacing the caliper they have upset either the ABS unit or brake master cylinder, probably the master cylinder. (assuming no ABS warning light on dash).
Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110