brake pedal travel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

brake pedal travel

Post by froggy »

Hi my 1997 Xantia TD. normally the brakes on my Xantia are superb but resently, when Cold, the brake pedal travels a long way before the brakes grip! when warm they are perfect. should I be thinking of changing the l.h.m? any thoughts, any help greatfully received, Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Northern_Mike

Re: brake pedal travel

Post by Northern_Mike »

froggy wrote:Hi my 1997 Xantia TD. normally the brakes on my Xantia are superb but resently, when Cold, the brake pedal travels a long way before the brakes grip! when warm they are perfect. should I be thinking of changing the l.h.m? any thoughts, any help greatfully received, Terry.

Have you checked the pads? I'd start there...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: brake pedal travel

Post by Old-Guy »

Before checking the pads, I'd check the LHM level (engine running, suspension on high, wait for level in sight-glass to settle). If the pads are OK, bleed the brakes - probably horrible brown LHM in the callipers. You'll need to take around 1/4L out of each of the rear callipers because the lines go all the way forward from the A/S sphere to the Doseur valve and then back to each calliper. All that length is a dead-end - unlike the suspension circuit in which the LHM circulates. Of course if the LHM hasn't been changed for four or five years, it's probably all a rather yellowish-green instead of bright clear green.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)