Citroen C5 2006 - strange symptoms...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aquilaalba

Citroen C5 2006 - strange symptoms...

Post by aquilaalba »

Hello all! I've recently bought a Citroen C5 2006 (facelift) with 1.6 HDi engine and 114k miles on the clock. All was well, until few days ago.

1. It started with the fan on the rad being on, whilst the rad was stone cold. Went to the garage to check the thermostat and water pump, both seemed ok. Later on went to check it and the rad was hot, as normal, fan wasn't on, triggered properly after a while standing. Strange thing was though I watch the temp gauge and it always operates within reasonable limits - never went too high, noticed though that sometimes it goes halfway up and suddenly drops to around 1/4 and creeps back up later - but thought this might be normal operation when thermostat opens - never noticed this that much on any other cars I've had, but it's my second Citroen... It tends to float slightly up and down, depending on my driving, but only a tiny bit - never noticed that on Fords or BMWs, they were bang on the middle, any wobbles would indicate problems, so not too sure on this...

2. Since I had it it was sort of struggling up the hills, it was pulling well, but there was sometimes bit of 'choking' - like it'd loose fuel supply for a moment and went back on, carried on fine with few 'jumps' along the way. That was the case with accelerating, similar symptoms. Thought it might be the fuel filter causing fuel starvation so started with this.

3. Since this has been replaced by local garage (around the same time) I've had the speedo reading below the actual speed. I've noticed it with TomTom and iPhone app, they were indicating higher speed than the clocks.

4. We were on the school run today, and the electric windows didn't want to open as normal, they sort of jumped short distances, I've managed to open mine, but then wasn't able to close it until I pressed the button a number of times, and by short jumps (some went down instead of going up?). This is too much different odd things in a short space of time...

Any suggestions appreciated.

One thing to mention, it's pouring down with rain (as usual), and the mechanic took off the under body plastic shield off as side was cracked and went loose catching all things sticking out of the road - bumps, etc... Started to think there might be a connection... Can the water from the road mess something up? Never seen anything like this on any car, had a Mondeo 54-plate without the cover as well, no problems whatsoever, so not sure if on a French car it might trigger such things (well, speedo and windows mainly, rest is fine - so far...).
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Citroen C5 2006 - strange symptoms...

Post by Peter.N. »

The electrics on modern cars can do strange things when they are damp although a low reading speedo is unusual - and illegal. I would suspect that you have a faulty temperature sensor or poor connection to it. Did changing the fuel filter cure the other problem?

Peter