We're is my dipstick? (Xsara 98 Auto)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

barber_benjamin
New User

We're is my dipstick? (Xsara 98 Auto)

Post by barber_benjamin »

I have just brought a new engine oil dipstick for my 98 Xsara automatic as the old one was broken. I put it in and checked the oil and it said there was none in there but when the engine is running it says it is fine, So then I checked the gearbox dipstick and that one is on the mark with the engine switched off. I was under the impression that the only way to check the gearbox oil was with the engine running?? Has someone swapped round the dipsticks?? My engine oil dipstick is to the right of the cylinder head and the gearbox dipstick is in front of the cylinder head slightly to the right. Is this right??
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: We're is my dipstick? (Xsara 98 Auto)

Post by spider »

What engine ? , TU units are on the front right hand side, you can see the 'tube' they go into down the front next to the exhaust manifold. Normally a flat 'top' and a yellow or green plastic. XU's have it on the left side.

The gearbox one is further back in the engine bay. Yes gearbox level should ideally be checked with it running and up to temp.

If in doubt the fluid on the end of the dipstick will tell you which is which.

Later autobox's (later gearboxes really) do not have a dipstick fitted.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
barber_benjamin
New User

Post by barber_benjamin »

The engine is a 1.8i 8 valve. The Dipstick at the front of the engine has a black top on it, it looks like there is a picture of a gearbox on it and the one at the back of the engine bay was broke and had no top on it, so I guess someone has swapped them around for some reason?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The 1.8 is the XU, stick in between plastic manifold usually or on the left (as looking at it so drivers side)

Gearbox one obviously at transmission end.

I think as I don't have any pics the best thing to do is to google for say "XU 1.8 engine" or suchlike and switch to images, there will be a lot of pics and you'll determine whats what.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG